Can I take my phone to the Apple Store to clean or replace camera glass?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Silver Idaten, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

Since Apple Stores seem to focus on part repairs nowadays rather than wholesale replacements, can I take my new iPhone 7 Plus to the Genius Bar to get the smudge underneath the camera lens either cleaned or the camera glass replaced? Yes I can exchange it but I don’t want to play the exchange lottery since everything else is great, I just want my camera glass cleaned or replaced.

I remember a few years back they were doing repairs on the 6 Plus camera through a recall, so I know the capability is there.

EDIT - This is the rear camera, by the way. There’s some kind of smudge under the camera glass.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That's a good question. I don't know that they can take apart the iPhone and get underneath the glass or not to clean It. If I had to guess, I would say no. I do know for those who have had debris or smudges under the glass before, Apple has replaced iPhone replaced without cleaning it.

3. Silver Idaten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I’d rather just keep it if that’s the case, I’m actually still in the two week exchange period but no way do I want to exchange, I’ve been down that road.

It doesn’t seem to be doing anything to the photos, it’s just annoying that it’s there.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It would annoy me as well. But you could call AppleCare and at least pose the question to them.

5. acorntoy macrumors 65816

They replace the phone in most cases. I would just exchange and not worry about it, after a year the production process is matured and it shouldn't be like replacing a phone at launch.

6. HDFan macrumors 65816

I've done multiple iPhone exchanges without any problems.