Can I tell firefox to maximize a window only to the "necessary" size like safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eyespii, Apr 12, 2008.

1. eyespii macrumors 6502

So in safari when you hit the green + button, safari will automatically resize the window only to however large it needs to be to fit the content of the page you're on. In firefox when you hit the green + button, it's as if i'm in windows and the window maximizes to full screen.

is there any way to get safari's + button functionality into firefox?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3. eliots macrumors newbie

I miss this too...

Actually I'm wondering if there is some secret shortkey to toggle between the fullscreen-maximization and the fit-to-content-maximization.

If I where in charge the Apple-team should have to build this into Mac OS X.

For example a normal click on the + gives you the typical (macish) fit-to-content; but when you hold down the option key while clicking the + you get the fullscreen-maximization.

Or is this already possible? If not, does anyone know if Apple has some kind of idea box? :D

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

5. danny_w macrumors 601

Firefox also doesn't close windows correctly. Ctrl-W will close a tab just like in Safari if there are 2 or more tabs open, but when only 1 tab is open it does not close the window too as it should (it closes the last tab and the window in Safari). This is just plain inconsistent behavior, and very annoying. FF needs to follow the UI standards for the platform it is running on.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

One might say the same to Apple about Safari for Windows. ;)

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

this is why i love Safari!

also Firefox 3's toolbar doesnt go lighter when its inactive like every app does in Leopard. its GUI feels 'out of place' in OS X. another reason to use Safari! :D

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

thats false. and I dont think this is a topic you want to list one by one of the reasons someone use this or that browsers, I would love to contribute in a proper thread. :D

[​IMG]
    I believe firefox 3 does close last window.

Im not that deeply strangled with the OSX such that I don't feel any problem with original behavior after all. There is a reason for cross-platform consistency, consider the small market impact of OSX. It actually helps Mac by offering switchers (roughly half and growing % of mac users are switchers in past 2 years) a familiar environment.

Pros and cons, its a balance Mozilla has to weigh, Im fine either way. Its too minor for me to worry about.

For OP. before the zoom button works in the future, how about zooming the webpage? full page zoom is really amazing, for me, OSX's small fonts are quite unconformable, in Firefox 3, I can just full page zoom and make the content larger, easy to read, and no extra space within the windows. :D

[​IMG]

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok, i didnt know that. i have beta 5 so it must have been added in the release candidates.

10. danny_w macrumors 601

Yes, I'm a fairly recent switcher myself (when the mini first came out). And yes, I used FF because it was familiar, but there were enough differences that it wasn't exactly like the Windows version, but yet it wasn't really an OS X program either. That's the problem with most cross-platform programs - they really are odd beasts that don't really conform to anything. Once I started using Safari (once v2 came out) it was all over for FF. Now that I also have a Mac at work, I very rarely use FF at all (and don't miss it a bit).

11. eliots macrumors newbie

I have my Mac Mini since October but I still have my Vista laptop. (Off course nowadays I'd happily trade it for a MacBook, but if I would sell my laptop I would get as much cash as I want for it. ;))
    And I started off using Safari, but just didn't like it. I miss those little Firefox-thingies. I miss those add-on dictionaries that check your spelling. I miss some other add-ons like Firebug and Del.icio.us (although I know there's a plug-in for Safari too, but still...). I miss that built in shortkey to re-open the last tab you closed (Cmd + Shift + T on Mac)! And most of all I like how I can "google" using the address bar in Firefox.
    Anyway, no hard feelings towards Safari nor it users. I know there are a lot of people out there that just love Safari. But for me? Naah... sorry, it doesn't do the trick. :)

12. danny_w macrumors 601

I felt exactly the same way about Safari and FireFox for a long time, but when I just couldn't take all of the bugs in FF anymore (the latest versions that I have tried still need to be closed/restarted every few days to keep from slowing to a crawl or crashing). So once I finally tried Safari on a long-term basis and got used to it, I can never go back to FF. Yes I know, a browser, much like a text editor, is a personal thing, but for me Safari is it. I just wish it gave us a little more customization control (but then, that's not the Apple Way!).

13. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

That's been Fixed in Firefox 3. Wait a few more weeks.. :)

14. danny_w macrumors 601

Thanks. I may have to give FF another try then. Do you know if there is a plugin (preferably) or other method to keep FF and Safari bookmarks synchronized easily? I loved Google Bookmark Sync on FF, but if it could also sync with Safari it would be really wonderful.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i dont think there is an extension to sync firefox with local safari or opera, or ie for whats worth. Firefox 's bookmarks system is getting more unique with version 3, it won't be able to be utilized by other browsers fully even if you export/import it.

I would think for ppl who need cross-browsers, cross-platforms, cross-computers bookmark sync, online bookmark systems like protopage.com or del.icio.us are best fit.

16. danny_w macrumors 601

That's too bad. Online bookmark systems certainly have their place, but are much less convenient to use IMHO. I guess I can just use .Mac online bookmarks for the few times I might want to use FF or some other browser.
    Unfortunately, that eliminates FF as a major browser choice for me.

17. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Camino (built off the Gecko codebase for Firefox but much more Mac-integrated) has a working click-to-zoom green button and shift (or was it option)-clicking it does maximise-to-screen. Or at least it did a few months ago when I last used it. Worth a test drive at least, surely.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yes indeed, there isn't a universal perfect browser for all of us. Give it a try tho, if its pros can't outweigh its cons for you, then the choice for you would be clear after all. :)

PS. I found online bookmarks very easy to use for my personal consumption...lol