Can I temporarily disable a user account on a MacBook Pro running on Mavericks OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PeetaBread12, Aug 8, 2014.

1. PeetaBread12 macrumors newbie

About my Mac:

MBP 13" non-R, mid-2012
    Currently running on OS X Mavericks 10.9.4

I have another user account that I set up so people can use them but it hasn't been used in a while. On the other hand, I don't want to delete it just in case it needs to be used again. So is there any way I can temporarily disable a user account and re-enable it when it's needed?

Thanks!

2. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Just change the password to something only you know, and don't share that new password.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The account is not active, unless you choose to log in to it, and a user account that is only used occasionally likely takes up little space, just a folder in your Users folder.
    And, unless there is something quite important on an account that you rarely use, you could just delete the account (through the Accounts pref pane).
    It only takes a few seconds to create a new account, when you need to have another.

4. charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

disabling a user account in maverick

I found this with a google search.

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-hide-user-accounts-from-the-log-in-window-in-os-x/

I tried the option to change the user ID to 1000. It hides the user name but leaves an icon for "Other". If you click that it gives you a box to enter the username and password. I didn't try the other options in that article. If you use this option, be sure to write down the User ID n case you want to change it back and have the username on the login screen.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

As mentioned, changing the password is the easiest way to block the account.