Can I update an iPod 3rd Gen from iOS 4.1 to 5.0.1 without losing the music?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by shimitav, Jan 20, 2012.

1. shimitav macrumors newbie

as the title says..
    I got it with 3.1.2 and i updated to 4.1 back in the day. I never restored it but using Shift-UPDATE!(i think it was limerain).. so all of my stuff was kept on the device.

I have more than 4000 music files and i converted them to 128 AAC(in the iTunes options) and i don't want to convert them again.
    so, will i be able to JB if i shift-update instead of shift-restore?

thanks.

2. budgynana macrumors member

i might not be totally correct on this.... but on an iphone when you update/restore your iphone will be 1st wiped completely (while the update/restore takes place) then when it's rebooted itunes will detect it as a new iphone and prompt you to either to set it up as a new device or restore from backup. i assume the same thing happens with an ipod, so basically your ipod will be wiped and you will temporarily lose all your songs/apps until you restore them back onto your ipod. i don't think there's anyway around this, but you can manually backup your songs if you don't have them in itunes anymore - don't ask me how, never tried it.

ios5 allows incremental (over the air) updates without a full restore so once you are onto ios5 you shouldn't have to worry about backing up or restoring after every update. but you're not on 5 yet so i think you don't have any choice, sorry.

3. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

Updating wipes nothing.

Restore wipes everything.