Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vigher

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2010
IPhone 4
Version 4.3.3
Firmware 04.10.01

Can I upgrade to IOS 5 and jailbreak my phone?

Vigher

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Ok, last dumb question... I always realize how dumb I am when I start thinking about jailbreaking my device!

With my current setup, if I just run the update from itunes and installed the latest version of 5.1 then I can use the redsnow tethered jailbreak, without anything else needed?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Ok, last dumb question... I always realize how dumb I am when I start thinking about jailbreaking my device!

With my current setup, if I just run the update from itunes and installed the latest version of 5.1 then I can use the redsnow tethered jailbreak, without anything else needed?

You need an Internet connection to run Redsn0w
And you will need your computer, USB cable, Redsn0w and an Internet connection each time you turn off/on or reboot your phone (thus tethered)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Ok, so you want to go to 5.1 with a tethered JB correct?
Then yes, update to 5.1 and then use the latest redsnow to JB tethered.
You will need to boot tethered using redsnow each time you need to restart your iphone or if your battery dies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.