Can I upgrade my 16gb new iPad in apple store

Discussion in 'iPad' started by littleman18, Apr 1, 2012.

1. littleman18 macrumors member

I was wondering can I upgrade my 16gb 4g new iPad into a apple store and get a 32gb and how much would it cost me ?

2. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

If you're inside the Apple 14 day return policy, then you could exchange and pay the difference.

If youre outisde that window, then there's no such thing as upgrading. You'd be buying a whole new iPad.

3. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

if it is within 14 or 30 days return you can "upgrade" to 32GB for 130 more

4. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

You'd have to exchange it for the 32gb model, and you can only do that if you're in the 14 day return window. It will cost you another $100. You can't have the storage upgraded on the one that you have (at least not in an apple store, and I don't know of any 3rd parties who can do that)

5. littleman18 thread starter macrumors member

Had it since day it came out :( looks like I'll have to delete a few things damn apple

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Try stopping into an Apple store and asking them. I've read a lot of stories of people at the store bending the rules a little to help out their customers.

My advice would be to go in, be polite and honest. Back when I was in retail I would help people out whenever possible. Best of luck!

7. Stouver macrumors member

Yeah damn Apple for tricking you into the 16gb one.

8. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Well little man it's time to be a big man and live with the decision you made when you bought the 16Gb.

It'll be fine.

9. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

How dare they make you buy a 16GB!

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

So it's Apples fault that you did not make an informed purchase? Grow Up. :mad:

11. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

While I feel for you it's hardly Apple's fault. I'd suggest selling on eBay or Craig's List for a small loss and buying a new, larger capacity model.

12. littleman18 thread starter macrumors member

I only got 16gb because I never filled or even got near to filling 32gb on iPhone

13. TjeuV macrumors 6502

It's lots easier to fill up an iPad ... I only put some music on my iPhone, together with a few apps i barely use. While on my iPad it's full with apps I use every day, music and a few series/movies.

14. littleman18 thread starter macrumors member

I love my music but I have a few apps I use everyday and the rest get deleted for room for films :) just in case I get bored in work

15. Alvila macrumors newbie

16. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Well, you could try and visit an Apple Store and see what they say.

You may get lucky.

17. warriorz macrumors regular

Always go to the store and ask.

Go to the store ask to speak to someone about an exchange and explain the situation and your storage needs. I bought a lower spec MacBook model and realised I needed a higher spec, had it for longer than 14 days, (around 16/17 days I think), the staff member was very helpful and understanding, said they always try to help their customers and it shouldn't be a problem, asked his manager who just said yes sure. They just got me the model I wanted and exchanged it there and then. I did the same with earphones when I realized they were very poor quality, explained, and exchanged for a credit note so I could do more research into a good pair.

It does depend on who you get to help though. I've had some absolutely unhelpful, unfriendly staff at apple stores before. Just try and find one who seems like a helpful professional wanting to assist customers.

18. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

Be thankful you have a device worth filling up! You can manage with 16 gb, just don't take all 7 seasons of '24' with you all the time!

19. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I bought the 16gb on launch day and so far I still have over 10gb free. I made the decision prior to my purchase to not store a bunch of music/movies/pictures on my iPad. So far, I am extremely happy with my decision.