Can I upgrade my 3GS w/ Spirit JB to 4.0?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by plexi, Jul 22, 2010.

1. plexi macrumors newbie

I have a 3GS that I ran Spirit on. I don't really care if I don't have a JB on 4.0?

What would happen if I let iTunes upgrade my phone to the latest (4.0.1) software?

Would it break?

I just want iOS4 as I need to run things like Skype in the background.

What are my options?

Thanks!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Of course you can upgrade your phone to 4.0.1
    Plug it in and push the upgrade button in iTunes
    Where would you get the idea it would "break" your phone :confused:
    You will lose your jailbreak.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can update to official firmware at any time.
    You will lose the JB and unlock if you depend on that.

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

As others have said, yes you can update.

I did this on my 3GS a couple of weeks ago (it was also 3.1.3 jailbroken with Spirit). I will say this, though. When I upgraded mine, I went directly from the jailbroken 3.1.3 to iOS4 and there were some remnants of the jailbreak left over. In fact, and I don't know if this is normal or not, but none of my apps would work.

I ended up having to do a restore, set up as new phone, and then do the update to iOS4. That cleared everything up and it's worked perfectly since.

I didn't want to restore from backup just in case those remnants of the jailbreak would pop up again, but when you set up as new, you lose your contacts. I used my.memova.com BEFORE I restored the phone, while it was still jailbroken to save my contacts. You simply set up an account, download the app, and sync it with your contacts. After restoring, you put the app back on your phone via iTunes (remember to sync BEFORE restoring) and then run it. It'll put your contacts right back on the phone like they were before. It worked like a charm for me.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, that's not what he's looking for. He wants to go to 4.0 official, not jailbroken.

6. transam7816 macrumors regular

thanks for clarifying..guess it's still too early!

7. plexi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies.

I thought that the jailbreak might be tied to something that would cause the phone to be bricked or something like that. I don't really mind starting over. All my contacts/calendar are stored on the corporate server anyway.

I'm on a list for iPhone4 so I'd like to take advantage of iOS4. I should be able to copy over all of my apps once I restore right?

So just to confirm? If I let it rip with iTunes I will still have a working phone right? :)

Thanks!

8. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Damn! What's with all the bad information on this forum lately? Too many posters (all with good intentions I'm sure) are posting things that they don't understand or shouldn't be answering.

Please people, read the questions clearly, and if you are not 100% sure of your response - Don't Answer!

Have a nice day :)

9. plexi thread starter macrumors newbie

I felt that I should add, all the apps are legit and paid for.

Thanks

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it will update to official 4.0.1 and you can sync your apps and everything back thru itunes.
    Beeing previously JB doesnt cause any problems.