Can I upgrade my iPhone 4 from Jailbroken 4.0.1 to 4.2.1? I no longer want Jailbreak.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by The Arin, Dec 11, 2010.

1. The Arin macrumors newbie

As the title states. I have a iPhone 4, it's running iOS 4.0.1 and it's jailbroken. I would like to update to 4.2.1 and I no longer care about being jailbroken. Can I simply hit "Update" in iTunes or will this mess up the phone, delete contacts, delete apps, delete photos, delete music or mess up anything else?

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Yes you can just hit update. Remember however that if you do JUST hit update, a few extra leftovers from the jailbreak will stick around. For instance if you have it set to show numerical battery percentage, that will stay.

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

That's not a jailbreak feature (of an iPhone 4 anyway).

4. The Arin thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the title bar display date, time & memory. The battery is set to show the battery and the percentage next to it, although I thought I set this up before I jailbroke the phone?

Other than that I have a couple worthless apps, and one quick swipe setting screen which turns on and off wifi and other things.

What is the best way to update so nothing is left behind that could cause issues?

Should I back up, restore, and then update?
    Does the backup/restore mess anything up or reset all my settings or does it just remove jailbreak?

Thank you!

5. currentcomics1 macrumors newbie

I did something very similar to what you are doing and had a problem with error code 1013. The phone went into restore mode and come up with error code 1013l. I have a mac and had to do the following based on advice from another forum member.
    On Mac:
    * Open Finder
    * Hold down COMMAND + SHIFT keys and press 'G'
    * Enter "/private/etc/" in the field and press "Go"
    * Find "hosts" file in the directory
    * Drag the file to your desktop
    * Open it in text editor
    * Remove the line that has gs.apple.com entirely or put a # at the beginning of it to comment it out
    * Save the file
    * Drag it back to the /private/etc/ folder.
    * You'd need to enter your username and password to authenticate the move

got it out of this thread

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....55717&tstart=0

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

What you have just described is putting your host file back to normal and this has nothing to do with the jailbreak. It is caused by running tiny umbrella to save your shsh and not unchecking the box in tiny umbrella advance that says leave your host file pointing to cydia.

You can save yourself all those changes by just opening Tiny Umbrella again go to advance and uncheck the box which says leave host file pointing to Cydia and then closing Tiny umbrella. That will set your host file back to normal.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you set your phone up as new, you'll get rid of all traces of jb. However, you'd only need to do this if you're taking it to the app store. Otherwise, the remnants from your jb shouldn't affect you--unless you installed a crap program.