Can I upgrade to 10.6.1 from 10.4.11 with a install disc from a different machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iSwitchd, Sep 8, 2010.

1. iSwitchd macrumors member

A few days ago one of my Macbooks crashed for an unknown reason. I tried running the Disc Utility and tried to "Repair" the disc, but it said it didn't find any errors. I found the disc that came with that particular macbook and I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled the OS. I ran the system updates and now I'm currently running 10.4.11

I recently purchased a new apple computer and it came with an Install DVD for OSX 10.6.1

Is it possible to update/upgrade my operating system with a disc that didn't come with it? I tried putting in the 10.6.1 disc, and when I click INSTALL MAC OSX, it'll say it needs to restart. I click restart, and then when it reboots, it simply says (something along the lines of) "Cannot install at this time" and gives me an option to RESTART.

Is there a way around this? I'd like to have the latest version of OSX on this machine, but I can't find a way to get it installed from the discs I have.

Thanks.
    (All computers/discs/licenses are owned by me, They aren't downloaded/burned/torrents or anything... they're Apple retail discs that came with computers I purchased.)

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

The disc that comes with a new mac is NOT a retail OSX install disc.
    It is a restore CD that is specific to that model of computer.

So no...

3. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel