Can I Upgrade to 6GB in my 2011 MBP? Or do I have to go 8GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimithing, Mar 9, 2011.

1. jimithing macrumors member

Ok so here is my question, I'll keep it simple. I just got my 2.2ghz 15" MBP anti-glare 128GB SSD FINALLY in the mail today. I stuck with 4gb of RAM from apple because I wanted to do it cheaper myself, obviously.

Point is. Can I buy a 4gb module for 50 bucks from like OWC and just take out one of the 2GB sticks to have 6GB.

Or do I HAVE TO buy 8GB and switch it all out...

I know ITS BETTER ALWAYS to switch out all the ram when doing an upgrade... But is it something I MUST do to ensure 100% working quality of my MBP..

I only ask because I think 6GB is likely enough for me.. so why spend the extra 50...

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You can have 6 GB in there. All you would loose is dual channel capabilities. Once you get matching module sizes, then you get dual channel back.

3. Brettla macrumors regular

You could pick up 8gb from newegg and sell the stuff thats in there now, and you should be able to get enough for the stock stuff so you are only into the new ram for about $50

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You would only lose dual-channeling for the remaining 2GB. The first 4GB (2GB from each module) should run in dual-channel. Either way, dual-channeling isn't something worth crying after. It's negligible with most apps.

5. captgecos macrumors newbie

captgecos

I currently have 6G in my 2011/2.2GHz and it works fine. It is true about the dual channel being limited by the lowest RAM stick installed (in my case 2G) but I haven't noticed any difference. Hope this helps.

6. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

you can use whatever size permutation you want as long as the memory is compatible

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Exactly, which is why you can have 6 GB in there if need be.