Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
i'm currently on tiger and for the last few weeks, while running s.m.a.r.t scans, it's resulted in the message "the volume needs to be repaired". what i am wondering is can i upgrade to snow leopard and repair the disk that way or do i have to do it under tiger first before upgrading to avoid some major error? thanks.

mark2288

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
I would go ahead and repair the problem before upgrading to SL. You may get away with it, but without knowing the exact issue that is occurring with your drive, I don't think I could offer a clear yes or no to your question.

Why take the risk? Fix the problem, then upgrade.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
thanks, i repaired my disc and upgraded to 10.4.11 (i'm like the last one to upgrade to the os), and downloaded all but two of the latest apple updates (itunes and the migration and dvd/cd sharing update). i should be ready for 10.6 when i'm ready.

mark2288

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
thanks, i repaired my disc and upgraded to 10.4.11 (i'm like the last one to upgrade to the os), and downloaded all but two of the latest apple updates (itunes and the migration and dvd/cd sharing update). i should be ready for 10.6 when i'm ready.

Good call. Good luck updating! If you have any problems, you already know where to come for help! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.