Can I use a HDMI cable to connect my monitor to my macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by irs88, Nov 30, 2008.

1. irs88 macrumors newbie

I have a 13'' inch macbook and recently got myself a 19'' monitor. I was wondering if I can buy a HDMI cable and use it? Do i need a MAC converter or something?? Can i just buy the HDMI cable and connect it to my new monitor/mac?? Thanks a lot guys!!

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

It should work, you would just need the Mini DVI to DVI connector for your Mac and get the HDMI->DVI cable to connect to your monitor.

3. irs88 thread starter macrumors newbie

so I need a DVI cable and a HDMI cable. They connect to each other. The HDMI connects to the monitor and the DVI cable connects to my macbook? Mine is the 4th generation mac book

4. rumourguy macrumors member

does your monitor have an hdmi input?

5. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

You can get a HDMI -> to DVI cable, but you will still need to get the miniDVI -> DVI adapter for your MB.

Link to HDMI -> DVI Cable store..

6. rumourguy macrumors member

no, one cable that is dvi on one end and hdmi on the other and... a mini dvi to dvi connector

7. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

On the MacBook itself, you need the Mini DVI -> DVI Adapter. go down to the apple store or BestBuy and ask for this.

Then, to hook up your Mac to your TV. get an HDMI -> DVI cable,

Attached Files:

8. irs88 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Not to get to frustrated here but you originally asked if you can hook up your MacBook to your LCD with HDMI. make up your mind on what you want to do.

If you have the adapter for your MacBook by all means use the DVI cable that you have to hook it up to your LCD monitor. Not even sure why you mentioned HDMI in the first place..

10. irs88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats exactly why I was confused. I didnt know what I needed. My friend said I needed a HDMI cable. I guess he was wrong. Sorry for the confusion. Ill buy the apple converter right now. And hook it up to the DVI cable the monitor came with.

Thanks a lot!!!