Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marano

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
New Jersey
I just picked up a new 12" iBook G4 (my first mac) and it's going to be two months or so with the holidays coming up till I can get my hands on a Airport Extreme card for it, so I was wondering if I can temporarily use the Linksys Wireless USB Adapter (WUSB11) that I have in the interim - I checked Linksys's site but did not find any mac specific drivers for it and was wondering if anyone has tried this before or if anyone has any suggestions???

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well officially no, but there may be some beta drivers or something somone whipped up. im to lazy to look.i would start at http://www.versiontracker.com and see if you find anything. im going to guess not though.

iJon

aldo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
England, UK
It's unlikley - Apple's wireless stuff is very proprietary software wise and you will have huge problems with anything working with it apart from ye olde airport card.

However, give it a go. You may get it to work.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by aldo
It's unlikley - Apple's wireless stuff is very proprietary software wise and you will have huge problems with anything working with it apart from ye olde airport card.

However, give it a go. You may get it to work.
i dont think its really that, its just not many companies write drivers to external wireless addons for macs because since the pismo and 1st ibooks an internal airport card was available, and at a reasonable price there really isnt any reason to get anything else. its just in his situation he cant get one right away and has this linksys he would like to use, problem being no drivers.

iJon

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
After this last week, I don't recommend Mac users use ANY of Linksys' products!

I went to CompUSA to buy my mom a Linksys Wireless Router and a wireless bridge for her beige G3. I tried to apply WEP settings into the router after it was all up and running, and suddenly the router stopped responding. No amount of resetting (we're talking 5 minutes of holding a reset button, folks!) would work. I called up tech support, which of course were of absolutely NO help, and they even tried to end the call when I mentioned I was on a Mac, which of course I was sure to explain to them that me being on a Mac had absolutely NOTHING to do with the problem at hand--the router not resetting. Needless to say, Linksys doesn't support Macs. At all.

So, I took it back and got a D-Link instead. Never looked back. The thing works flawlessly, the web interface is user-friendly, and... most importantly... they support Macs and MacOSX!

Linksys... burn in you-know-where! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.