Can I use a mini display port (MDP) to connect to a Thunderbolt display

grastafaram

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
Hi, I have a mid 2009 15" MBP and would like to know if I can connect to a Thunderbolt display via a MDP. I have read many posts on the topic and it seems like I can use a MDP, but I'm not clear on which adapter I should buy. I am planning on getting a newer MBP in the next year or two, so I don't want to buy the Cinema Display. I will mostly be using the Thunderbolt display to watch movies and to use as a monitor. I just want to be sure that I can use the Thunderbolt with the MBP I have now. Any help appreciated...

Thanks

grastafaram

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
Also from http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/ - "And because Thunderbolt is based on DisplayPort technology, the video standard for high-resolution displays, any Mini DisplayPort display plugs right into the Thunderbolt port. To connect a DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, or VGA display, just use an existing adapter."

Which really makes it seem like it will work. However, I keep seeing posts to the contrary, as well as posts in this thread making it seem like it will not work, i.e. GGJstudios post indicating that I need a thunderbolt enabled Mac computer.....

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
A Thunderbolt port on a new Mac can connect to DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, and VGA displays through the use of existing adapters. But a Thunderbolt port is required to connect to a Thunderbolt display. Older Macs don't have Thunderbolt capability.

grastafaram

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
OK, thanks for the clarification, it just seemed like if you could connect a MDP display, then you could use one to connect a MBP. So there aren't any third party adapters out there at all then?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
OK, thanks for the clarification, it just seemed like if you could connect a MDP display, then you could use one to connect a MBP. So there aren't any third party adapters out there at all then?
The Thunderbolt ports are backwards-compatible with MDP, but the MDP is not forward-compatible with the Thunderbolt. No, there are no adapters that will accomplish what you want.