Can I use a Mini DVI (Type 1) to HDMI adapter to project my MacBook onto my TV?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by slightlysteve, Jan 14, 2015.

1. slightlysteve macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I am trying to project the image from my (very old) MacBook onto my TV.

As my MacBook is very old, it only has Mini DVI Type 1, Firewire, and USB connections.

I've been researching ways to do it, and I have found lots of Mini DVI Type 1 to HDMI adapters. However I am unsure of whether or not it would work. I have come across something called 'DisplayPort', which supposedly displays image onto TV using Mini DVI, but it's not Type 1; it's a much newer type of cable and wouldn't work on my laptop.

So I have three questions...

1. Would a Mini DVI Type 1 to HDMI adapter cable work?

2. If not, is there a DisplayPort that supports TYPE 1 Mini DVI?

3. If not, is there an alternative method to connecting my MacBook to the TV? (Yes the TV does have VGA connection also).

Thank you!

Steve

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

All the pre-Unibody Macbooks(as well as the 12" Powerbook) used the same type mini-DVI.

Apple still makes a mini-DVI to VGA connector that is readily available both online, Apple retail stores, and stores that this sort of Apple product(I just bought an Apple branded one a few weeks back at the local Staples)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9320G/A/apple-mini-dvi-to-vga-adapter?fnode=51

As long as the adapter you are looking at has the same type connector as the one I linked above, it should output to HDMI fine. The only caveat is that-as far as I know-you will not get sound through HDMI(DVI and HDMI are signal compatible, although the HDMI standard includes sounds).

Mini DisplayPort is a newer and totally different standard that's used on newer Apple laptops(all current production ones, although the port on the computer is not labeled as such) as well as a handful of other makers' laptops.

3. slightlysteve thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your response.

Can you tell me how I can get audio to play off my TV?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The mini-DVI connection does not include audio (only video) - so you will need to connect audio out (the headphone port on your MacBook) to audio in on your TV, using a separate cable for the audio.

5. slightlysteve thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes thank you I'm planning on using a 3.5 mm to 3 RCA AV Audio cable into my Sabre TV model LCT47PBKA. But I cannot find the option to use the audio from this cable on the TV.

I've attached a picture of the back of the TV. I need help with after I've plugged it in.

Thank you

Attached Files:

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

In your picture, you have a video cable attached. That one should not be plugged in, just leave it loose (it's not used), and just plug in the red and white (right and left, respectively) for the audio.
    You would get the audio when you play the video on your MacBook. You may need to select whatever input uses those ports on your TV, or maybe the audio will simply work when you get the video to appear on your TV.
    Just to make sure that you understand - you need the Mini-DVI to VGA for your video, and the 3.5mm connected to headphone jack, and then red & white on the multi-RCA to left and right on your TV - you need BOTH cables to get this to work.

7. slightlysteve thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you but I'm asking how to select the audio input option on my specific type of TV. You mention that I may need to select whatever input uses those ports on my TV, but I cannot find that option when searching the menus on the TV.

"or maybe the audio will simply work when you get the video to appear on your TV" - is that a possibility? How can I know for sure?

Thank you

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You can try it out. Your primary goal is to get video from the Macbook to your TV. The audio (with its separate connections) may follow without difficulty.
    You can change the selected input on the TV, usually from your remote - or there will be a dedicated button on the TV controls.
    You would use the same process that you use for choosing to view a DVD, or select for a game system, etc.
    My suggestion is to get the MacBook to TV hooked up, then start a video (or whatever you are choosing to show on the TV from your Macbook). Change the video selection on your remote until you see the video.
    If your audio doesn't work, move the audio connectors to another pair of connections for audio. If it works, you're good! I don't know about your other connections on the TV.
    If OTOH, you get no video, you can check in your Displays prefs that the TV is recognized as a display (hint - look for the "Arrangement" tab)

9. BrettApple, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015

BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Ah the ol' MacBook to TV deal comes up again.

More than anything it depends on your TV.

For example, my Sony TV has a specific PC input that will let you use VGA for video and a standard 3.5mm jack for audio. That way you get video and sound going to the TV through separate inputs.

Another one of my Sony TVs had a DVI input with the same 3.5mm audio in. Which is even better because it's full digital and could run at full 1080p.

Then some don't have one at all. I have external speakers, so I can just plug into DVI/HDMI/VGA or whatever and then plug into the aux input for my speakers. But if it's the built in ones you may need to look for a PC/VGA/DVI input.

If you only have HDMI, you won't get sound as it is. There are some boxes on the market that plug in to DVI and your headphone jack and send it out one HDMI cable, but I haven't seen one that works yet. They generally have bad reviews.

Example:
    [​IMG]

Taking a second look, you have one:

[​IMG]

Mini DVI to VGA should do the trick. Though you might not get full 1080p out of it. Not saying you won't but sometimes VGA doesn't like HDTV's. Sometimes it does. Depends on the TV, Laptop/video card, and adapter.

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Good call, BrettApple!
    I missed the audio connector next to the VGA port.
    I bet that will work.

OP, you need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable. I am pretty sure that will work.