Can I use a unibody MBA reinstall USB in a BlackBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hellishness, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Just as the title states, can I use that instead of the original disks that came with this blackbook (don't have them)? Should I just try it..it won't screw up anything, right?

Thanks so much.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. Installation media is model-specific and will not work on other models.

3. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Nope. It's just like if you wanted to use a restore disc that came from a 2008 MacBook on a 2010 MacBook. It won't work because it's only useable on the 2008 model.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

A) there's nothing other than a unibody air, and B) no.

5. Hellishness thread starter macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Damnnn okay if you guys could help me it'd be greatly appreciated. I need to burn the 13.35 GB OS X install image that's on this computer to a DVD to install it...but it's obviously too big for a DVD. How do I do this? I'm trying to get this restored asap so i can sell (I know it makes no sense but it's a long thing) my macbook air and get an ipad.

TIA

6. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Maybe just sell it to someone on here without the OS?

7. Hellishness thread starter macrumors 65816

Hellishness

No, I might as well explain. I downgraded to a BlackBook from my 4 month old Air to get an iPad 2. Now I have the blackbook, but still haven't sold my air. I'm using both, but don't have any data from my air on the blackbook. I do have important stuff on my blackbook though, and I need to basically transfer that to my air, make a time machine back up, restore the blackbook from that backup, and then I can restore my air and sell it. :eek:

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Get an external hard drive for your transfer of data. You should have one anyway for backups. Invest $30 on a SL DVD and use that to erase the black MacBook. Include it with the MB when you sell it.

9. Hellishness thread starter macrumors 65816

Hellishness

So just a OS X DVD from an Apple Store will work just fine?...When's Lion coming out :eek:..and more importantly is is supported on a 4 year old macbook? thanks guys :)

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The retail DVDs are designed to install on any supported Mac. They do not, of course, include anything other than the OS (so iLife and any other software that originally came with the computer will not be included). We don't know what the requirements for Lion will be but it's suspected that a 64-bit processor (Core 2 Duo or greater) will be the requirement.

11. Hellishness thread starter macrumors 65816

Hellishness

So I have a file 'mac osx install.toast' that's 13GB, so it should be osx and iLife, but I'd have to buy osx and ilife disks to use it? Is there any way to burn it to a DVD? I mean i'd spend the 30 bucks if it came with ilife, but like I should at least be able to get the ilife that originally came with this computer for free, right?

Also-if my time machine backup has ilife (i think 09) on it, it won't be transferred onto this mac if I restore it from that backup, will it?

12. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You can't burn 13 GB of data to a DVD that, at max, holds 8 GB of data. Where did you get this file?

13. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

in order to do this transfer why do you need to wipe the OS on the blackbook? Does it have somebody's old data on it?

14. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

heres an option for you if you do not have external hard drive. Set up file sharing on both computers. Send all important files from your blackbook to the air through the wireless network. Essentially you are going to build the user on your Air to be exactly how you want it on your blackbook

Now once the Air is set up perfect go into your blackbook and go to migration assistant in utilities. add the macbook air user as a 2nd user on the blackbook. Select the all of the options to transfer 100% of the data and the applications. This will take a while as you will be most likely doing this over wifi as your air does not have ethernet or firewire cables. If you have the ethernet to USB adapter for the Air you could use that instead of going through the wireless.

Anyhow once the migration assistant is done you should have 2 users. The first would be the current blackbook and the second is the copy of the Air user. Check that all your apps, docs ect are all in tact and if you are confident that everything is good delete the original blackbook user and you should be good to go.

I hope this makes sense and if anyone sees any flaws feel free to point them out. Good luck.

The only issue I could see is if the black book is not on snow leopard?

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Too bad, you could buy the 29 upgrade, then have Apple help you out by having a Leopard installed, so you can then upgrade with your purchased Snow Leopard.*

*This is assuming your BlackBook shipped with Leopard so you have rights to it