Can I use an iPhone in place of my Droid

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fjs08, Feb 11, 2012.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

The company I work for uses Droids. They have a sync to Outlook for email.
    They use Verizon too.
    My iPhone subscription w ATT ends in early April. I'd love to go to back to Verizon as I'm not happy w ATT.
    Asked the IT guy at the office if I could buy an iPhone and have it "fitted" for our office stuff. Now I'm not a tech person so I may not be giving you all the info there is. He said I can, just so the phone is a CDMA phone.
    Can one put all that "windows" type stuff like Outlook etc on an iPhone???
    I'd hate to buy one and then not be able to use it.
    Thx.
    Frank

2. jkeekij macrumors regular

I would think that in an office environment that Microsoft Exchange is used, and if that is the case an iPhone can connect to Exchange just as well as a Droid can. Do you know for sure if Exchange is being used?

3. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

yes you can access your outlook email with the iphone, I believe the calendar situation is a little harrier though...

4. jkeekij macrumors regular

The calendar is a walk in the park too. If Exchange is the back end it doesn't matter as it will support mail, calendar, contacts, etc. Outlook is purely the client connecting to what ever server and it doesn't even come into play on the mobile devices.

If Exchange is the back end server, and current (Exchange 2007 or 2010) you will be fine on the iPhone. You just need the server settings which your IT should be able to provide for you.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If all you are using is email (likey the case), you will have no problems. If you are using some other specific software, that is going to be a different story. I would think, however, that if you talk to the IT guy and he gave you the green light, he is going to know a lot more about how your company has things set up than we ever will (read: if he says go, the GO!).

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thx for all the responses.
    Not sure if it is Microsoft Exchange.
    I'll have to pay better attention.
    Frank

7. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Even if it's Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync, it still doesn't mean his work's IT people will allow the iPhone.

My work uses MS Echange, but only iOS devices are supported. An app called Iron Mobile installs an encryption configuration for the iPhone (which also enforces a lock code and time out rule). Android devices are not suppored and without the encryption key for the Exchange server (which they obviously won't give out) there's no way to manually configure it.

The OP will have to sort this out with his IT people.

Now, if it's something like Good for Enterprise (an Exchange app w/ it's own encryption), then iOS shouldn't be an issue since there are client apps for iOS and Android (and the activation key will work on either).

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

True, but he also said this in his original post: