Can I use an old graphite AirPort Extreme to extend a 2011 5th gen Airprort Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tevion5, Jun 27, 2013.

1. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Can I use an old graphite AirPort Extreme to extend a 2011 5th gen Airprort Extreme?

Would it work I if I used an older version of airport utility to configure it?

2. macizcool macrumors member

If the color is graphite, it's not an airport extreme. That's the original Airport that only supports wireless B and WEP. You wouldn't want to use this to extend your network.

Are you sure it's not white and say "Airport Extreme" on the front? Even if this is the case, you would have to use WDS, which cuts your throughput in half. And for me, WDS has been flakey.

Perhaps look for a Airport express on Craigslist. Make sure it's the model that supports wireless N (lmodel #A1264)

3. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

Sorry I'm actually colourblind, but I think this one is white?

It's this one pictured. I know it's not ideal but would it work as an extender at all? It's just I can get one for €10.

Attached Files:

4. macizcool macrumors member

Thanks for clarifying... Sorry for putting so much emphasis on the color :( The important part is the "Extreme."

Yes, you could use this, but like I said, you are going to be slowing down your network by adding this, plus you lose the 5ghz ability, if you use 5ghz.

If you only do simple web browsing over your network, you will be fine. However, I would use caution if you transfer big files over your network.

5. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

If I just set it to "join" my current network Turning it into a wifi to Ethernet converter to speak, would the speed of my network remain untouched?

Thanks again.

6. macizcool macrumors member

You are not able to do that with the Airport Extreme. From my understanding, that is only possible with the Express.

7. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

My current AirPort Extreme has that capability but only with Apple routers.

----------

But considering I'm trying to save money at the moment and I don't technically need it, I might let it pass :p

8. macizcool macrumors member

You are referring to "Client Mode." From my understanding, you can only put those routers on Client Mode to connect a printer. All of the documentation (and forum posts) state that the Ethernet ports are disabled.