Can I use anothers upgrade for myself on family plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by troy14, Jun 7, 2010.

1. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Here's the deal.

I'm on a family plan with 3 people.

Father, me, and brother.

My father has a crappy black razr from a long time ago, me and my brother both got the 3gs the day it was released.

My brother is the primary line on the plan, so he's elgible for the upgrade..

My father doesn't care about his phone so he's elgible for an upgrade as well... but since i'm not the primary line and I just got my 3GS, i would have to pay $399.

My father said I could go ahead and use his upgrade... can I go in to att and use his upgrade without ever activating the phone on his line? Obviously we do not want to have the data plan on his line, and I would like to keep the unlimited data on my account...

Is this possible?

2. jkimbro0316 macrumors regular

Yeah I've been able to go into an AT&T store and use my mom's upgrade on my line twice now, she doesn't really care about getting a new phone either. So if you go to an AT&T store they should be able to do it for you.

3. mrmike316 macrumors regular

yep for sure you can, just make sure ya bring the primamy account holder in with ya,,,,

4. nabechu macrumors 6502

sure can, but your dad is gonna have to be with you when you get the phone.

5. troy14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do I need to bring my dad or the primary account holder??

My brother is the primary line, not my dad. My dad doesn't care he's just the type that's 'do whatever the hell you want to do' but getting him to drive 30 mins to the store for this 'nonsense' is somethign i'd rather try to avoid..

It seems like it shouldn't matter if he's there - just the person in charge of the account

6. nabechu macrumors 6502

Who ever the primary account holder is. If its your bro, then just bring him along.

7. elephunkman macrumors 65816

8. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

Wait... Can I Pre-order the iPhone online using one of our other lines and then when it shows up at my door, I can just go on itunes and Register it under my number?

9. troy14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone. Appreciate all the help... see you all June 24th!

10. swapna81 macrumors member

Sorry to use this thread for my question.. but as it was related.. i go ahead with the question..

So when the i4 is bought on op's dad's line and swapped onto op's line..

Will Op's DAD will be charged for the data plan ( whatever $25 or $15) ??

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

No

12. SFGiantsfan macrumors newbie

Ok, my situation is the same as the OP. I want to get a phone using my mom's upgrade.

When pre-ordering the phone, do I order it under MY line, or my MOM's line? If I order it with my mom's line... do I just tell the ATT, when I get to the store, to activate it under me?

Thanks

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Your mom's line
    Yes

Please see the upgrade guide in my sig.

14. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I checked your guide but am a little confused by some information in it. In the guide it mentions that if you are using someone else's upgrade then you should go to AT&T because Apple doesn't have the resources. I'm curious what makes you say that because I called 2 AT&T and 2 Apple stores and was told by all reps from both stores that the Apple Store has no problem doing that.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Honestly, Apple can do it....but they call AT&T to do it. AT&T can just do it a bit easier.

16. metalblaze macrumors member

Blackberry....

Somewhat similar situation: I have a Samsung Propel Pro (WinMo 6.1) and my wife has a BB Pearl -- both from ATT. I have a data plan for my phone, but my wife does not (her's is a voice only plan).

Now, she is eligible for a new phone -- when I asked the ATT rep if I could use her upgrade to get me the iPhone 4, I was told that:

(1) I could use her upgrade to get me a phone, and still retain my original phone#.

(2) But since she has a BB (a "smart phone"), after the upgrade she cannot have a voice-only plan. She will be required to get the data plan additionally as well. Now...she rarely requires data (uses Wi-Fi mostly), so we are not sure what to do.

Anyone in the same boat? Thoughts?

17. rfrankl macrumors 6502

Yes, you can. I used my wife's eligibility last year, and now will use mine this year. :)

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You were informed incorrectly. Several of us has done this. Even if they do place the data plan on her line, you can remove it as long as the iPhone is not active on that line.

19. metalblaze macrumors member

Geckotek -- thanks for your prompt reply. If I understood you correctly, only iPhones are required to have data plans, and not necessarily a BB Pearl. Am I right? It will be grand if we could just do voice-only for my wife.

20. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Thanks, may want to change the faq because it makes it sound like it's not possible at Apple, which is where I was planning on pre ordering.

Thanks for the info though, nice faq that could probably answer a ton of questions on here.

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Correct, unless they've changed something I'm unaware of. Several of us have done this without issue.

If you have suggested edits, drop Elephunkman a note as he has edit rights. :D

22. orange812 macrumors newbie

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but quick question:

I just wanted to cofirm that it's possible to preorder using someone else's upgrade (which I already know you can do), BUT have it delivered then bring it into AT&T to have it transferred from their line to mine...

Any ideas?

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yes. In fact, all you have to do is plug the delivered phone into iTunes and activate it on the account of your choice. No need to take it into AT&T as I'm fairly certain the SIM is delivered unactivated on any line until you plug it into iTunes.

24. christyn macrumors 6502a

On a similar note, does anyone know if it's possible to get AT&T to change the primary line? I'm the primary account holder, but the primary line is on my s/o. Is it possible to change them around?

Or should I just count on preordering on the qualified line and going into AT&T to have them swap the phones?