Can I use any copy of XP to install on my Mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mjmar, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

We've had several windows computers that all came with XP reinstall discs... Would I be able to use one of those discs to install XP into virtual box, or do I need to buy a copy of Windows?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You would need an actual install copy for the CD. The licenses may work. It depends on what CD's you actually have.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Those are probably OEM disk and will not work. Download Windows 7 RC. You'll be happy you did.

4. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

I was going to, but I want to play a game that is compatible with XP... Not sure if it'll work with Windows 7. Plus I want it to be more of a permanent solution.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's still possible to buy XP install disks. Some people say you can buy an OEM XP disk , others say you need full xP. either way, you need SP2 at least.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Of course it will work natively... :eek:

And if it's a game from Windows 98 or older and it DOESN'T work, You have a full copy of XP included INSIDE Windows 7.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Your game should run under Windows 7. Although Microsoft does bonehead moves, it has allowed for backwards-compatability in 7.

8. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm trying to download windows 7 now but all I've seen for 10 minutes is this screen:

Attached Files:

9. Nick A macrumors regular

It only works on internet explorer, so you need to burn the CD on a Windows machine.

10. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

It is possible to install from an OEM disk (such as Dell) as long as it's not an OLD system rebuild disk (you would know, it'll be printed on the disk).
    As for licensing - OEM licenses are not supposed to be put on any machine other than the one the COA is stuck to. That being said, the rest is up to you.

11. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmmmm.... just tried it in Firefox and it works.

12. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Try some other web browser besides safari. It worked for me with firefox