Can i use Apple Earphones+Mic in Skype on OSX/Windows???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NSK123, May 28, 2010.

1. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

Hi

I'm thinking of buying some of the Apple earphones with remote and mic and i was wondering if there's a way of making them work in skype both under windows and osx? I know it works pretty much plug'n'play on the iPhone/iPod but i'd imagine you would need some sort of adapter to make it work in the audio port on your laptop, or some sort of device so that you could connect it both to the Mic and Audio port.

I'm talking about these:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB770G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1MA&mco=MTI1NjIyMjk

or maybe these:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/H0997VC/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1MA&mco=MTc2NzgyNDU

Thanks for the answers in advanced :)

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

3. NSK123 thread starter macrumors regular

NSK123

i have a Macbook Pro running OSX and an Acer 1810T netbook running Windows 7.

Both have an Audio and a Mic port on the side.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Neither of those show to be compatible with MacBook Pros or other laptops.

5. brucem91 macrumors 6502

I've done it successfully with on my old unibody macbook. Instead of two gold bands on the plug, the mic one has three gold bands, the third being the mic input. So if your win laptop has 3 bands in its audio out jack, then it *should* work, and if you have a unibody mac it should work for sure.

6. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

yes u can on a macbook running osx, i do it everyday with no problem :)
    mine is a macbook pro early 2009 (unibody) running 10.6.3

i dont know if u can with windows

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Apple's earphones that have microphones on them can be used with more recent (2009 and later) MacBooks and MacBook Pros. The headphone port is designed to recognize the mic on the earphones, allowing you to use it for recording or video chat while in Mac OS X.

(I don't know if it'll work while in Windows, but it works fine on the Mac side.)

8. NSK123 thread starter macrumors regular

NSK123

thanks for the replies, i wanted to use it both on my netbook and my macbook. How to i check whether or not my netbook has 3 bands on the audiojack? Does anyone know of any device that can make it work for sure?