Can I use AT&T Media Net Unlimited for iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yktang, Jul 18, 2008.

1. yktang macrumors newbie

I'm currently in middle of AT&T 2-year contract. My phone features 3G connection. And the Media Net Unlimited service(is it imply 3G?) is $15 per month which I have not subscribed yet.

Can I buy a iphone 3G from ebay (doesn't have to be unlocked since I'm with AT&T), and use the Media Net Unlimited. It will be $15 saving per month (my plan is 39.99 + $15 data). Anyone see any problem about that? Can AT&T detect my phone and reset my service plan?

2. huskerwr38 macrumors member

what is AT&T media net? Does it give you data for internet, email, etc?

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Should work fine once Pwnage is out to activate the phone.

Yes, for half the price of an iPhone plan.

4. Ryan.Fork macrumors member

I'm not too sure that it'll work... I've been wondering this as well, and I just determined that rather than try to beat the system I'll just pay the extra $15/month. I'm currently on the old $20/month MediaMax 200 plan (Unlim. data & 200 txts) so I was thinking about just keeping my MediaMax plan with my iPhone 3G that I'll be getting from a newly activated line on my family plan.

However, I know that ATT was able to block other PDAs from using the iPhone data plan back when they changed the unlim. data for PDAs to $30/month, and they can also tell if you're using the $15 plan for a PDA, so I would think that they'll eventually find out you're using an iPhone 3G and bump you up to the $30 plan.

5. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

That might work for a little while but expect one day to see the regular 3G iphone plan and your contract renewed for breaking the TOS you agree to (Yes this is legal).

AT&T is not stupid ... they do frequently audit accounts and look for strange plan / phone combination. It was done with the 1G iphone and is done for other 3G PDA's so I would expect them to do the same with the new iphone.

6. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I'm 99% sure this won't work.
    You need to have an iPhone 3G plan in order to activate the phone. Therefore, it WOULD have to be unlocked to try this, which you can't do yet.
    And yes, AT&T can easily trace your IMEI and upgrade you to the iPhone plan within a month or two if you can get this working.

7. BlueGrassBound macrumors newbie

I can promise you it doesn't work. I recently upgraded to the Blackjack II (not an IPhone, I know) and to my surprise I can no longer use the previous MediaNet package I had. The only way I can use MediaNet is to either pay-by-use (baaaaad idea) or.. sign up for the much more expensive $30 a month basic PDA option. What a pile of crooks. :eek:

8. ec51 macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure it would work. I am just not sure how long...dont listen to anyone on here unless they have personal experience. You would most likely just put your SIM in the phone and it should be fine...

I was using an old iPhone data on my Blackberry for a few months...worked fine.

I am almost positive at&t cannot "trace" your IMEI, whenever you change your data they always ask for your IMEI, why? If they can trace it why cant they just look it up? Because they cant.

9. BlueGrassBound macrumors newbie

.. I am speaking from personal experience. I even ran into one of the good reps who tryed countless different ways to make my phone accept the plan. (he spent an hour on the phone with me trying)Nothing doing. I haven;t gien up yet as I think that is a crock... maybe if someone could explain to me why it won't work I would be ok with it. So far, no one has been able to tell me why plain old MediaNet won't work! We even went in and told the service I had a different phone than I did.. still would not work.
    Are you speaking from personal experience? How were you able to make a Smartphone from AT&T work on MediaNet?

10. eunichs macrumors newbie

What if the iPhone was never locked?

Hey guys,

I have a really relevant issue. I own an iPhone, which I purchased here in New Zealand. That means it is completely unlocked (never locked - it is illegal to sell locked phones here), and can be used on any carrier/plan.

I am coming to the US for 5 months of University from August - December. I want to use my iPhone on a gophone plan, and I want unlimited data. Is this at all possible? Will the medianet plan work?

One thing I find impossibly difficult about browsing for a cell plan in the US is the insistence of US companies in rebranding everything. I mean, WTF is medianet? Is it internet access, or is it some ****** WAP style service? It's impossible to figure out.

Anyway, I want to bring my iPhone, get on a plan with a decent amount of text messages, some calling minutes, and unlimited data. I don't really care which provider I end up with. I can't sign a contract because I won't pass the credit check (I am not a US citizen).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Evan

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

Yes, ATT could bump you to the $30 data plan if they find you using the iPhone 3g. They can but will they? That's the big question.

As for ATT blocking PDA users (I have a moto q global), all you have to do is delete the proxy on the medianet settings and you are able to use the internet even though you are on the 2g iphone $20 data plan. You do not have access to Cingular Video (but who cares? right?).

12. cjbrx3115 macrumors newbie

YES! In fact, I'm
    Using my prepaid MEdiaNet unlimited to write this post! I have used ~40MB so far and LOVING the plan! The best part is that you can use the 3G which is really fast!

I'm using a Cingular GoPhone SIM (3G compatable).

13. yktang thread starter macrumors newbie

how long you've been using it? I know you already have used 40MB which may only translate to <= 1 month of use. let us know

14. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

are you sure media net is working 100% 3G and all?

if so thats really weird because 3G plans for ATT have always been 30 bucks and that'd be dumb of them to put 3G into media net. Must be some sort of catch on its way

15. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

It will not work until you can activate the 3G through a jailbreaking program like pwnage. And then, only if AT&T does not catch on. Is it really worth breaking the TOS to save a few bucks?

16. acvball92 macrumors regular

acvball92

Do you think when the iPhone 3G becomes unlocked(whenever that happens lol) will we be able to do this without them tracking us?

17. ec51 macrumors 6502

Once again, there is NOTHING 3G specific as to data plans. My old Razr 3xx or whatever was 3G. 3G is just a connection not a specific data plan.

18. cjbrx3115 macrumors newbie

I have had this package for 2 days now, and I have already used 94.2MB. That's about $942.00 worth the internet on prepaid... so by spending the $20 I save a whole lot!

Don't listen to the people on here who say "You need to jailbreak or activate your iPhone through AT&T first for GoPhone." That is not true, because this is what I did:

1.) Order iPhone 3G off of eBay (it came unactivated)
    2.) Pop in my GoPhone Cingular SIM
    3.) Connect the iPhone to my computer
    4.) Wait 5 seconds for iTunes to automatically activate it

That's it! I connected my iPhone with the GoPhone SIM to my computer, and iTunes instantly asked to either create a new iPhone or restore from backup. It is literally that simple! Message me if you would like details or whatever!

By going with the GoPhone option, you get EVERYTHING the iPhone 3G has with a contract, except for VisualVoicemail (which I can totally live without.)

19. cjbrx3115 macrumors newbie

Actually, you're not just saving a few bucks. You're saving 2 years worth the crap and trouble of AT&T and still getting everything you would with a contract. See my post above of my situation...

20. WiseYoda macrumors newbie

I am currently using a 3G iPhone (not jail broken) with a GoPhone Pay As You Go (just switched over today.) AND I was able to keep my number :).

The AT&T rep used the same SIM card and phone number and just switched it over to a GoPhone plan... which I had to put in a Nokia 2610 because "the 3G iPhone is not compatible." :p I am going to have to pay for the ETF, but this a small price to pay.

So this is what I did (for those keeping score at home):
    1) activated a 3G iphone on july 12th with 24 month contract
    2) grabbed a nokia 2610 from my friend (he had one laying around) :cool:
    3) went into AT&T store and asked that they cancel my 24 month contract and switch the number over to GoPhone Pay As You Go
    4) purchased $100 pay as you go prepaid credit
    5) took the iPhone SIM card out of the iPhone and into the Nokia 2610
    6) left AT&T store
    7) once the iPhone was deactivated and the Nokia 2610 was activated I switched the SIM cards back - great success!
    8) called 611 from my iPhone and purchased unlimited MEdiaNet (you might want to do this from your Nokia or GoPhone so that you don't pay for data on your iPhone before you set it up)
    9) viola! working 3G iPhone with unlimited data :apple:

I will also confirm that the balance screen does like to pop up randomly (about every 15 minutes, see attachment) when using 3G service. Also, visual voicemail does not work, in fact, there is no voicemail indicator at all now :mad:. Hopefully there will be a jailbreak app to fix this at some point.

* TIP: It says that you can purchase multiple months of MEdiaNet at once... and it will just extend your service 30 days. So, in theory, you could set this up for as long as you want. Or you can just activate it every month.

* NOTE: I previously had my iPhone jailbroken, however, I upgraded to 2.0.2 and did not re-jailbreak my iPhone. Just a note, if anyone was wondering.

Attached Files:

21. macdaddy01 macrumors member

If your medianet plan expires, does AT&T start charging you by the kbyte for PAYG?

22. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'm doing this now on my iPhone 2G and paying the same per month for data and texts as the 30 dollar iPhone plan. If you want to test the waters go ahead and try but I suspect that you'll be noticed quickly because of they're most likely keeping some eye out for it.

23. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

It will work...however you will lose Visual Voicemail. There are millions of customers, AT&T wouldn't want to go after a few people...unless you go overboard and download 100GB a month.

24. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Yes, you can. The absolute best way to do this is to buy a used phone and have the IMEI attached to your account.

Just call up and say that you didn't like the iPhone and wanted to switch down to a regular phone. You could probably go in to an AT&T store to have this done as well. While they're changing your phone over, simply say you don't need the iPhone data plan anymore, but would like the internet on your device still, and they'll sign you up for the MEdiaNet plan for $15/mo.

Wait until they're done, make a call from the phone so you know it works properly, then pull the SIM and put it in your iPhone. You will lose Visual Voicemail by doing this though. It depends on how important that is to you.

People on HoFo and XDA do this all the time. Just keep the other phone around in case you have to call in and for some reason they ask for your phones IMEI.

AT&T does have a way to check IMEI's of phones being used at the tower level, but they don't. They run regular sweeps through their billing system to make sure the proper data plans are attached to the proper phones, but this only checks the IMEI they have registered in their billing system with your data plan, not the phone you're currently connecting to a tower with.

25. sbbrian805 macrumors newbie

Can I use AT&T Media Net Unlimited for iPhone 3G?

Yes you can!!!

A few years ago I had a Sony a710 (regular phone) and my plan had a discount from my employer. I was paying $32 for the $39.95 450 anytime minute plan plus my plan had 200 anytime minutes added to my account for a total of 650 minutes. When the iPhone first came out I bought it and upgraded/downgraded my plan and hated it because I lost all my bonus minutes and discounts, so I returned it within 7 days. I had AT&T revert everything back to what I had before I purchased the iPhone. Later that month I upgraded my current a710 to an HTC 8525 (PDA phone). Now I had the $35 Media net package ($15or unlimited internet and $20 for unlimited texting) on my a710. When I upgraded my phone they just took the SIM out of the a710 and put it in the 8525. They told me that I needed to upgraded my data plan to a PDA plan but I didn’t and it’s been working for more than a year and they haven’t automatically upgraded my account!

Now I’ve recently upgraded my 8525 to the 16gig iPhone 3g. I was not eligible for the discounted $199 8gig or $299 16gig pricing for the iPhone because I only had my 8525 for a little over a year. AT&T wanted me to pay $200 more for the phone and still have me on a 2year contract with a $175 ETF (early termination fee). What I did was setup another/new account which I intended to close after 30 days and pay the $170 ETF to get the $200 discounted price of $299 for my 16gig iPhone saving $30 and also staying out of any new 2 year contract with an additional $175 over my head.

When I got home I took the SIM out of my 8525 and put it in my iPhone and it worked! I had access to 650 anytime minutes for $31.99 and unlimited internet/email and texts for $35. I was paying about $67 a month for a plan with more minutes instead of $90 a month ($69.95 + $20 for unlimited texting) for the iPhone plan. Saving about $23 a month, $276 a year, or $552 over the 24 month contract I would have been stuck to (about a 16 gig iPhone a year and NO I didn’t get the apple care)…

I never really texted that much in the past with my a710, but a month before upgraded to my iPhone I noticed that I was going over my 200 texts. As a courtesy AT&T sent me a text telling me that the unlimited text plan would save me from over paying on my bill. I looked at my bill since I have auto pay and I didn’t notice it and the prior month I paid about and additional $40 in over charges for my texting, and I was going to pay an additional $70 in my current month. I called AT&T to upgrade to the unlimited texting for $20 a month (a $15 increase in my bill). AT&T told me they couldn’t upgrade my texting because it was part of my Media Net package ($14.95 for unlimited internet and $5 for 200 texts) and I couldn’t have Media Net on a PDA phone (HTC 8525). Now knowing that I could because I’ve had Media Net on my 8525 for more than a year I told them to hold off on making any changes and that I had to think it over. AT&T wanted me to pay $32 for my minutes 30 for unlimited data and $20 for unlimited texting about $82 a month instead of $32 for my Minutes, $15 for data, and $20 for my texting which is $67 a month. They wanted me to pay an additional $15 a month for having a PDA screw that!!!

Here’s the Trick:

I took the SIM out of my 8525 (PDA phone) and put it in my a710 (regular phone) and called back and told them that I lost my 8525 and to changed my account. They asked for the IEMI# in my a710 which I gladly gave them, and they upgraded my account to unlimited texting. The rep even backed dated it to the beginning of the month. I hung up and swapped the SIMs again and it was over!

I’m currently only paying $67 a month for my iPhone plan, but I did get a text from AT&T saying “Your iPhone is ineligible for the iPhone 3G. To prevent excess charges and enable Visual Voicemail, contact your telecom manager or AT&T.” I’m not calling them back not with my SIM in my iPhone… I know when my bill cycles (I’ve set a calendar reminder in my iPhone) and I’ve checked my account since the text and nothing has changed. I’ll keep checking it for the next few months.

Happily sticking it to the man!
    ~B :D