Can I use Automator to d/c my time machine drive automatically when i go into sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DisplacedMic, May 1, 2009.

1. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

I have my macbook on one of those usb cooling platforms. I have the myBook plugged into the platform. This works great when i connect. I come into work in the morning, hook up my laptop to the cooler as if it were a docking station.

THe trouble is, if i just close the laptop and leave then i get yelled at for not disconnecting the external properly. i know it's easy to just eject the disk - but i'm a forgetful person...automating this process would be fantastic.

In addition - while we're on the subject - does interrupting the time machine hourly backup do any damage?

thanks all!

2. Spares macrumors member

I think, although not positive, that the only time you would do any real damage is in the event your computer is transferring files when you disconnect, if its just sitting idle, the external and the computer I don't think any damage should occur.

3. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

i see..the problem is - even when i drag the disc to eject it sometimes thinks it's in use even though TM isn't backing up.