Can i use generic ac power cord for power adapter to 23 inch apple cinema display?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Romeo604, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Romeo604 macrumors regular

I already posted it the where to buy section but i also need some basic help for this too.

Would any members know of an online store or store in general that sells the power adapter for the 23 ACD Aluminum in Canada?

I just picked an apple display off ebay, absolutely mint condition but the guy forgot to package the adapter and I don't want to pay customs again since I live in Canada. On ebay most listings are from the U.S or China. Any suggestions?

Also would i be able to just use a generic ac power cord with the power adapter brick?

Much appreciated for the help!

2. jasonpointer macrumors newbie

Did you ever find out the answer?

I also bought a used apple cinema display off ebay that did not come with an AC power cord. It did come with the adapter, however. I bought a generic cord from Wal-Mart for $10 that appears to be working fine, but I am worried that I am somehow slowly but surely damaging the monitor. A new "replacement" cord only costs $25 (see link), but that is $25 I would rather not spend....

In sum, while I don't live in Canada, I was still wondering whether its ok for me to use a generic AC power cord in conjunction with the apple adapter.

3. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

you can get a replacement apple adapter from apple care or have it ordered at an apple store... just have the serial number available. I think they cost about $40

4. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Don't really have an answer to where you can get a power brick (the only time I ever needed a replacement I got it off eBay, I'm sure you could get it through apple though) but in response to your second question, I have used a 20" alu cinema display with the proper brick but a cheap aftermarket power cable (available almost everywhere) for years with no problems!

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The cord from the brick to the wall is a generic power cable that simply has some extra plastic for visual styling. It's perfectly safe to use any power cable that is the proper configuration.

jW