Can I use "image stabilizing" from iMovie 09 and finish in FCE?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bubbagumpshrimp, Jul 18, 2009.

1. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Can I use "image stabilizing" from iMovie 09 and finish in FCE? I tried to do this to my clips that needed it in imovie but when i exported them over to FCE they were back to the way they were before.
    Anyone have a solution for this?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

iMovie and FCE's plugins are not compatible with each other, so that would explain why your iMovie effects aren't transferring over in a direct export.

One way to do what you want to do is to the "Export Using Quicktime" option in iMovie to output a self-contained, full-res Quicktime file (which would render the video with your effects intact) and bring that file into FCE. It's sort of a crude process, but it would nonetheless work.

If you're using iMovie solely for its stabilization effect (due to its strange absence in FCE), there are several plugins available for FCE that you give you that functionality.

3. bubbagumpshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for response. Do you have any recommendations for Stabilization plugins FCE? I hear FCP has this effect within its software. Out of curiosity, anyone know how they compare?

4. jla930 macrumors member

As far as the stabilization in iMovie goes, I've read and heard the following, depending on the length of the clip being stabilized, how much stabilizing is necessary, etc:

It can take a painfully long time.

Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't.

The trade-off is a slight change in size of the picture and some blurriness.