Can I use iPhone 4 MicroSim card in any other Unlocked cellphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by arts11, Jan 9, 2011.

1. arts11, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

arts11 macrumors newbie

Title says it all, but basically, will I be able to use my iPhone 4 MicroSim [with fullsize SIM card adapter I assume] in another unlocked cellphone like those cheap no-plan phones at like Walmart?

Whenever I go out exercising, hiking, playing ball, etc. I like to have my phone on me, but I feel uncomfortable whenever I bring my iPhone 4 on those rough-and-tumble activities. So, as a compromise, I was thinking about getting a really cheap phone with some basic functions (texting mainly, though having a music player would be welcome too) that I wouldn't mind if it got knocked about some accidentally. Speaking of, does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap (under $40 total, including tax/s&h) phone like that?

Also, if I got a new substitute phone that was able to browse the internet, would my current iPhone data plan cover it? Can I use the iPhone 4 MicroSim in a non-3G phone in general?

Also, do any brick and mortar stores sell those fullsize SIM adapters or would I have to look online for one?

Thanks for the help!

2. Starship77 macrumors regular

Starship77

Well, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. You just might not have all the features. But you should be able to make calls and send texts messages.

3. arts11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys. Just got back from shopping, and although I didn't buy one at this time, I did browse some of the cheap cellphones that were on display. In between prepaid Gophones and Tracphones though, I'm sorta confused. I asked the employees that worked there whether I could use my own SIM card in those phones, but they didn't know. Anyone have a clue about this?

I'm mainly just unsure how the "prepaid" minutes might or might not conflict w/ using a SIM card and if those phones even had SIM card slots to begin with.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Pay as you go phones that are on the GSM network will always have a SIM card slot. It's what differentiates GSM from CDMA.