Can I use iPhoto to keep track of photos on my WinXP Desktop? Itunes for mp3s?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by techmonkey, Jun 23, 2007.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

I have a MBP on the way, and I would like to keep my music, photos, and videos on my WinXP desktop computer. If I share those folders, will iPhoto be able to keep track of the photos (without copying the photos to my laptop) and will Itunes be able to do the same with my mp3s?

2. jshbckr macrumors 6502

I know that you can have your iTunes library located on a separate drive, just turn off auto-organizing in the preferences. I'm not sure about iPhoto though.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can on iPhoto too. Hold OPTION as you start iPhoto and it'll give you the ability to create a library somewhere or to open a library form somewhere. However, both apps work best when given the ability to manage the files which means arranging them in their own set folder structure. Also, modifying the files using any other app and in particular, modifying the name or location of a file can wreck the whole setup. Just keep that in mind.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

My iTunes music is on my Windows machine and I access it with my MacBook. Works fine for the most part. It can be a little slow though since it has to process things over the network, but still manageable. iPhoto should be the same, but I haven't done it yet. As a previous post mentions make sure to change the preferences in the programs not to copy imported music/photos.