Can I use Messages in OS X with my actual phone number?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by troy14, Jul 25, 2012.

1. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I know natively you cannot do this. Is there any solution or work-a-round? Using my e-mail is stupid, all my friends know me by my phone number and I don't want to have two different iMessage threads for people (and i'm sure they'd appreciate it if I didn't do this to them either).

It would be confusing because who should I text, the e-mail or phone #?

2. ynnoj macrumors member

ynnoj

Apple said they'd be unifying the email/phone number when iOS 6 launches. Until then, you'll only receive iMessages sent to your Apple ID on your Mac.

3. troy14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Didn't know they said that, that's great news. Not doubting you but what is the source.. is it WWDC 2012 keynote? I just want to see exactly what they said for curiosity.

4. andybrown44 macrumors regular

Yeah they said it in the keynote. I imagine it'll be coming with the release of iOS 6. They're holding back Facebook integration until then too for some reason.

5. ynnoj macrumors member

ynnoj

6. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

7. ynnoj macrumors member

ynnoj

Unlikely. Assuming it's not something in the actual iOS 6 software, but rather something they're changing at their end.

8. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I have iOS 6 on my iPad and iPhone and it works great. Just want to use my phone number os OS X too. Can't wait!

9. ricky1025 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. iMessage works great on my iPhone & iPad, but I can't wait also for Apple to unify the phone with my Apple ID, like on iOS 6!!

10. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

It's both. Their end is set-up to work, but there's no way to activate it in software right now because that part of the equation is only in iOS 6.

People using iOS 6 on iPhones have gotten this working already.