Can I use my 15" i5 2.4GHz MBP in "Clamshell Mode" connected to my 23" Samsung...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ronnoco, May 20, 2010.

1. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Can I use my 15" i5 2.4GHz MBP in "Clamshell Mode" connected to my 23" Samsung display without a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard connected?
    I realize I'd have no control over the system without an external mouse of keyboard, but if I am just watching a movie on the larger display, I'd love to just close the shell on the MBP...
    Anyway, thanks for any help...:)

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Unless you have a remote for the MBP, I don't believe it is possible. The Clamshell Mode is designed to make the computer more compatible with a desk environment, which is why it usually takes some sort of input connected to wake it up.

TEG

3. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Thank you TEG...I figured it might not be possible bc there is no external device connected to "wake" the computer when closed...just thought I see if anyone knew of a way...thanks again for the response...

4. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

If I were you I would just purchase the apple remote. It's portable, will work exactly for what you want, and can be had on eBay for about $5. I purchased an HDMI adapter and Apple Remote on eBay and I now have the perfect portable media center. I highly suggest either Plex or XBMC as well.

5. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Thank you WW, I'll try that...I think I have an older Apple Remote around here somewhere...I wonder if that will work with my new MBP?
    Not that I'm tryin' to save the 5 bucks :lol

6. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Checked out Plex...pretty frakkin' cool...I've tried Boxee but it was fairly difficult to navigate..Plex's interface is FAR superior...thanks for the tip WW!

7. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

Glad I was able to help. I know that the small white remote that used to come with the iPod dock will work just fine. Also if you use plex or xbmc you can change a setting to make the menu button on the remote bring up that app instead of front row. Plex also takes advantage of gpu offloading for h264 content and I dare you to find a video format it won't play. I have xbmc running on all sorts of devices on my network and setup a shared database so when I can see watched status and even pickup where I left off from another machine. Feel free to PM me if you want help with setup.

8. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Yeah, I have one of those old school Apple remotes from my first MacBook a few years ago IIRC...I'll try that one first before buying one of those cool new ones (although I DO want one of the new ones)...
    Glad to hear about the h.264 because now that i have a laptop that can handle the HD content, that is all I want to watch...:D

9. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Yes, I'm doing this right now, it works fine with my Samsung XL2370. :)

10. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Thank you GP...So, after I start the movie I can close the lid and the MBP won't go to sleep? Or is there something I must do to prevent it from sleeping?:confused:
    I have the displays set up non-mirror or as an "extended" desktop where I move the movie player (either VLC or QTX) over to the Samsung portion of the extended display...btw, I am using the DP->VGA Apple adapter as I only have one HDMI input on the Samsung and I use it for my HD-DVR...I also have an extended stereo mini out from the headphone jack into the PC Audio In on the Samsung...the PQ is awesome :)

11. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Ron, unfortunately you'll need a pointing device or keyboard. This is my set up right now. When you close the lid, it *will* go into sleep, however, it wakes back up within a couple of seconds if you move your mouse. To me this is the normal, intended behavior.

I'd say, start your movie after having woken your computer up.

Alternatively however, you could use the free software Insomnia. It disables Sleep Mode completely and is easy to toggle on or off from the menu bar, so you use it only when you need it. :)

Hope this helps.

[​IMG]