can i use my gf's edu discount if she's not with me at the apple retail store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 212rikanmofo, Oct 14, 2008.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I plan on getting me a new MBP tomorrow at the apple store. I am wondering if i can get the edu discount? My girlfriend is in school. Can I just show the cashier a photocopy of her driver's license/school id? She is on vacation and won't be back for a couple of weeks.

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

Are you buying it for her with her money?

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

short answer: no

longer answer: why in todays terrorism this terrorism that world would you think anyone could just use another persons id?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats on a slippery slope to id theft.

why would they accept an id from someone who isnt in the id? think about that

5. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

no i'm gonna be paying for it with my own credit card... i dont see the big deal, even if she was there with me, it would be the same thing.

i've done this before when purchasing my cinema display, i just showed them a photocopy of my girls id and they were okay with it. its been awhile so i was just curious.

6. Kaliemon macrumors member

It depends on the sales rep you deal with. Some will take it no problem, others might ask a few questions then go with it, and others will say no.

Good luck

7. LDB macrumors member

LDB

Other than the fact you aren't entitled to the educ discount and therefore are cheating at best and thieving at worst there's the identity theft issue as mentioned so most likely no. Cheats have already cost everyone half of the discount. Enough more cheats and there will be zero educ discount. :mad:

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's not the same thing. If you go through immigration, do you think they will let you use your GF's passport? What about when you drive; can you just hand over your GF's driver's license? No you can't.

9. jasonrm macrumors member

jasonrm

I think it's mostly up to the sales rep, but if possible some sort of proof of enrollment besides an ID might help as well.

If you don't have issues with lying, just stick with "she wanted me to get down here as soon as possible and this is all she gave me".

Course, if it's a girl who is going to ring you up, then just make the story a little romantic.

Best of luck!

10. jasonrm macrumors member

jasonrm

However, don't you find that maybe it's a bit extreme to compare buying merchandise vs. falsifying an identity or terrorism?

11. Bwilky macrumors regular

I tried that with my sisters edu id. I brought her Id and my Id. They said "Sorry, she needs to be here" So I bought it online.

12. singaporesling macrumors newbie

I was with my sister when she bought her MB and the sales guy didn't even ask for her proof(she is in Uni though) but we chatted with him a lot and he just assumed we were trustworthy people. If you have a driver's license that says you are between 18-22 you might get away with the same.

13. LDB macrumors member

LDB

That's the problem and I don't mean that it's extreme. I mean the problem is people doing like this and justifying things because they're only a little bit illegal instead of a lot illegal. It's either right or wrong. There is no middle ground and no degree of wrong.

14. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

you what?

15. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

I can't believe people dare talking or associating purchasing a laptop with terrorism !

This is scary.

In addition, it is possible to vote on someone else behalf. So I would not be shocked if Apple would accept someone purchasing a laptop on someone elses behalf in a signed letter comes with the buyer.