Can I use my iMac 27" late 2009 as a monitor for mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Yanwoo, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Yanwoo macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm another switcher from iMac to mac mini, seems like there's quite a few of us on here!

I wanted some confirmation before slapping down my credit card that I'll be able to use my 2009 iMac as a monitor for the new mac mini? From what I've read on these forums it seems it should be possible but I don't think I've read an account of someone doing it. Any confirmation would ease my mind :)

I've used it as a monitor successfully from my 2009 macbook pro so I know that part works, I guess the uncertainty I have is from the mac mini having a thunderbolt instead of a mini display port .

I just got the screen replaced on the iMac under warranty so I'm keen to make use of it :) but the iMac itself is beginning to show it's age :(

Thanks!

2. Pie Chips Salad macrumors member

Can't you get a thunder bolt to display port adapter? If your getting a mac mini anyway it can't hurt to try it. If it doesn't work take the cable back to the apple store

3. Yanwoo thread starter macrumors regular

I believe thunderbolt uses the same connector as mini displayport so I'm working under the assumption I can use my existing mini display port -> mini displayport (male) cable?

4. wmy5 macrumors regular

Yes, you can. You needn't to buy a Thunderbolt cable.

5. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

Monoprice.com
    5991 6ft 32AWG Mini DisplayPort Cable - White

$7. Works perfectly between my 2012 Mini and Late2009 iMac.

It DOES NOT share keyboard and mouse. Monitor only.