iPad mini Can I use my iPad mini in another country w/their local carrier?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MK25toLife, Feb 16, 2013.

1. MK25toLife macrumors regular

Hello,

I have done a fair amount of digging on this subject and haven't found the answer I'm looking for. It seems everyone is divided on whether it actually comes unlocked or not. I can say that I called AT&T and gave them my IMEI number and they said it WAS locked.

I will be headed to Thailand where there is no 4G, can I just swap in a SIM and use their 3G network without any issues? If not, what would I need to do to unlock the mini?

Can someone help me put this answer to rest once and for all?

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Did you buy it at full retail or with a carrier subsidy?

3. MK25toLife thread starter macrumors regular

4. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Then just buy a local SIM card and you're good to go..

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Unless you buy your iPad at a carrier store and sign a service contract to get discount, it is unlocked. And that discounted one might be unlocked also.

The only catch is to find a carrier with the right size sim. Get that and you are good to go

6. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Since you're going to Thailand, I recommend DTAC/Happy for prepaid SIM with possibility to buy extra Internet access. Good coverage and only 20-30 $/mo. for unlimited 3G. You can of course use the 3G network even if they don't have LTE in Thailand.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/Happy-internet-package.html

Have a nice trip to Thailand :)

7. LaptopNomad macrumors newbie

LaptopNomad

About using local prepaid nanosim cards - if a cellular network uses SMS text messaging for topping up balance and balance checks, it won't work with the iPad.

The iPad doesn't support SMS text messaging using the cellular number associated with the nanosim card.

8. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Just recharge at one of the companies stores. They'll remove your sim card and recharge it in one of their phones. They'll be happy to help you.