Can I use my .Mac (MobileMe) account to move info from old iMac to my new iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by srowndedbyh2o, Apr 18, 2009.

1. srowndedbyh2o macrumors regular

I have a .Mac (MobileMe) account that I currently have set to sync each day with Calendars, Contacts, Keychains, Mail accounts, and Safari Bookmarks. I’m going to be purchasing a new iMac. Instead of using the Migration assistant, can’t I just sync my new iMac to my .Mac account to move my Calendar, Safari Bookmarks, etc. to my new computer? When I log into my .Mac account on the new computer and click on “sync now”, will that update my new computer with all the info from my .Mac account, or will my .Mac account be “replaced” with the info (or lack there of) on my new computer?
    If it matters any, my old iMac is a Power PC G5 and I will be getting a new 24” Intel iMac.
    Thanks!

2. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

system preferences > mobileme ; login with username and password; check all the things you want to pull then click on advanced; select your new computer and choose reset sync data and you can pull all info from server

3. srowndedbyh2o thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent! Thanks for the info.
    I don’t quite understand all the posts/problems about using the migration assistant, or target disk mode, etc. when it can be done so simply!

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Because people usually need to migrate more then what is synced to mobileme, like music, pictures, videos...

5. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

if you need any data, like documents, photos, music, etc... you will have to use Target Disk mode or direct ethernet connection with file sharing turned on in system preferences, which is my preferred way.

MobileMe will work fine for the things you have listed that it does sync, but anything beyond those things, the computers will have to be directly connected in some way.

6. srowndedbyh2o thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the feedback.
    So if I have a file on the desk top of my old computer that has miscellaneous files in it like AppleWorks files, PDF files, and a few photos, I can connect my old and new computers with a firewire cable, start up the old computer in Target disk ode, then just drag and drop that folder from the desktop of the old computer to the desk top of the new computer?

Does this work just like when I drag and drop a folder from my desk top to my external HD, where a copy is left on my external HD and the original file is still on my desktop?

So when I start up my new computer, I don’t have to move anything over from the older computer to the new at that time?

Is it OK to just start up the new computer, set up my Internet connection, log into my .Mac account and sync those items? Or is that method just too slow, and I’d be better off using the Target disk method?

When I do want to move my iTunes library from my old computer to the new, can I use the same Target disk mode, drag and drop method?
    Just go into my Home folder > Music folder, then drag and drop the iTunes folder into the Music folder of my new computer? Same with my Documents folder and Pictures folder?

As you can clearly see, I’m totally clueless to all this and want this transition to go as smooth as possible. Over the years I’ve collected a Ton of “Stuff” on my old computer, a lot of which I’m sure I don’t need, so I want to keep this new computer as clean as possible.:)

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Everything you said sounds right. It will make a copy and leave the original. mobileme would be easiest for calendars, e-mail, etc. Yes, use target mode for docs, pics, music. It can be done at a later time.

8. srowndedbyh2o thread starter macrumors regular

Mahalo!!
    I can hardly wait to see that new, uncluttered, 24” screen on my desk!:)