Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
It has been a year since it has been sent to collections... If I were to put a Virgin Mobile SIM card will it work if the number has been sent to collections ? Since the bill weren't paid and there was a year left in the contract what does happen ? Is it possible to use it for Virgin Mobile ?
Not sure if this question makes sense

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Lack of payment and blacklisting of the IMEI (which is what Sprint would have done when payment was not made) aside, I don't think VM will allow activation.

If you had a 4s or an iPhone 5 or newer, possibly, but the Sprint iPhone 4 does not have a SIM slot. It's locked to Sprint. And while VM is an MVNO of Sprint that uses Sprint's network there's probably enough of a difference in things to prevent the activation.

But the blacklisting of your IMEI is your biggest problem. My understanding is that getting an IMEI off the blacklist is one of the more difficult things to get done. Simply paying it off may not necessarily remove the blacklisting.

You have an iPod Touch now.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
But the blacklisting of your IMEI is your biggest problem. My understanding is that getting an IMEI off the blacklist is one of the more difficult things to get done. Simply paying it off may not necessarily remove the blacklisting.

His biggest problem was deadbeating on a contracted debt. Credit rating takes a hit, too.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
His biggest problem was deadbeating on a contracted debt. Credit rating takes a hit, too.
I would have to agree with that - to a point.

Those with good credit seem to have an unnatural fear of debt collectors and hits on their credit ratings.

While both are bad, it's entirely possible to continue living and take care of needs and wants on a cash and carry basis. It forces you to live within your means, although you do lose the ability to get loans and credit cards.

Debt collectors can easily be dealt with via voice mail and call blocking. Unless you've written a bad check, or are dealing with collectors representing state or federal government agencies, they are all bark and no bite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.