Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KimLA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Hi,

my iPad is currently connected to a very slow WiFi network. It's so slow it's really getting on my nerves (~3kb/s)!!!! So I would like to use my phone (Nokia 5800) as a wireless modem and use my phone plan to browse the web on my New iPad at a normal speed.

Is it possible to do so? How?
Thanks

elmz

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
Hi,

my iPad is currently connected to a very slow WiFi network. It's so slow it's really getting on my nerves (~3kb/s)!!!! So I would like to use my phone (Nokia 5800) as a wireless modem and use my phone plan to browse the web on my New iPad at a normal speed.

Thanks

You might want to ask this on a Nokia or Android forum. If you had an iPhone, yes, it would be possible.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
If your nokia, and your carrier supports tethering then yes you can... You also have to have the tethering feature on your account or else you could get a nasty bill.

KimLA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Thanks for your answers.

MonkeySee.... , thanks I'll check this out and see how it turns out.

big samm , yes my phone and carrier both support tethering, but I'm not sure what is the tethering feature you're mentioning here, what account are you talking about?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks for your answers.

MonkeySee.... , thanks I'll check this out and see how it turns out.

big samm , yes my phone and carrier both support tethering, but I'm not sure what is the tethering feature you're mentioning here, what account are you talking about?

On your account with your cellular service carrier, there are various plans/features you sign up for, like how many minutes/month, number of texts/month, GB of data/month, right? So you need to check if tethering is one of the features included in your cellular plan.

KimLA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Seems like it's possible but for some reason I'm getting a "pairing unsuccessful, Nokia 5800 is not supported" error message although I read some people succeeded to do so. I guess I need to configure something but what?

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Hi,

Thanks

is your wifi network using dialup? 3kb/s damn ;)

Hoggles

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Portlandia
A simple google search and you would have your answer :rolleyes:

First off....time to ditch Symbian :p

Secondly....Yes, you can use the Nokia 5800 as a wifi hotspot.

Looks like there are several apps... "Joikuspot" for one is free. Doesn't look like tethering is built into good old Symbian.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.