Can I use my White MacBook hdd in my new MacBook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BenWall, Aug 25, 2010.

1. BenWall macrumors newbie

Basically my White MacBook has died and I'm replacing it with a new MacBook pro 13". I haven't done a time machine backup in a while so I was hoping I could take the hdd out of the new one and put my old hdd in so I can access all my files and applications.

Is this possible?

2. jmdMac macrumors regular

It would be a better bet to just use the hard drive that comes in the mpb and transfer your data to it.
    Depending on how old your macbook is, the hdd may not fit and/or work as well with the newer hardware/software.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

you can, it will have all the drivers and what not, but as suggested it would be better to transfer all of your stuff to the new drive (which i take it is larger and faster as well?)

4. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

If it's maybe doable I would not recommend it, as your OS as been set up to work with a specific configuration. If you change this configuration by swapping your hard drives, this could result in a mess. But this is just an assumption.

BTW I like to have a clean install when starting with a new computer, don't you ?

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

it doesn't, I've done this many times. it just takes a little longer to boot the first time as its figuring out what drivers to use, thats it.

but yes, a clean install is by far recommendable

6. BenWall thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I do like to have a clean install, but I have a massive itunes and iphoto library that I really don't want to lose!