Can I use my XBOX 360 with the May 2011 Thunderbolt 27 inch iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by webstersp, Aug 13, 2011.

1. webstersp macrumors member

Can I connect my xbox 360 or ps3 to my may 2011 27" iMac?
    I know that for the older 27" iMac you could use the Belkin AV360 or the Kanex XD but I just can't end anything for the newer iMac.

Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, the 2011 iMacs can only be a display for another Tunderbolt computer.

3. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Hopefully soon, but the solution is likely to cost us. :(

4. webstersp thread starter macrumors member

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a 32 inch TV for my home recording room to be able to connect my xbox 360 on it. And a 32 " tv that looks as good as the 27" iMac would cost me at least 600$

But I saw on the Kanex XD FAQ page that they were working on it:

Will the Kanex XD work fine with the new iMac's (MC812B/A) via the Thunderbolt port?
    Our Kanex XD requires modification to work with the new thunderbolt iMac 27-inch. We are under development of a newer version. Please look out for an announcement soon. In the mean time the Kanex XD still works for iMac 27 2009-early 2011 and also the LED Cinema Display 27-inch.

5. Dresevski macrumors 6502

Probably makes more sense just to get the TV, since it doesn't seem that space is a real issue. The only reason to pay $300 for the adapter would be if you truly wanted the iMac screen to be your ONLY screen. In my opinion TV's are still better/easier for watching shows and game systems. I played with the idea of these adapters but you'd basically need the HDMI to ThunderBolt adapter and probably a HDMI splitter to make things easier...get expensive and it's not even possible yet.