Can I use soap on my aluminum Macbook Pro (early 08)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wankey, Mar 25, 2009.

1. wankey macrumors 6502a

There has been a film on gunk slowly settling on the palm rest of my MBP, is there any chance that I could use soap to clean it?

Water doesn't clean it anymore and it's slowly starting to show (at certain lighting angles)

Is this recommended?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sure, I've done it before. No reason not to. However, liquid soap you'd use for washing dishes works better because it cuts through oil better. It also works on the plastic MacBooks, old iBooks, old aluminium PowerBooks, etc.

3. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sweet thanks I'll try it out. I think it is the dirty oil that's stuck on there.

4. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I'd recommend a mixture half water, half 91% Isopropyl Alcohol.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i am a fan of the alcohol method as well. just dont use GooGone and you should be fine.

6. bobriot macrumors member

Don't use liquid detergent on a alu mac as it's packed with salt. Salt + Alu (most metals in fact) spells trouble. I'd go the Isopropanol way as well.

7. jeremybuff macrumors regular

You know those small alcohol swab pads? The ones diabetics use before injecting insulin? Those work perfectly to clean the macbooks. Don't use it on the screen, or a glass trackpad for anyone with a UMB/UMBP. They're super cheap, too.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

not getting it on the screen and track pad can be tricky. another thing to do is make a mixture of alcohol and water and dip a cue tips in them for some precise cleaning around those areas.