Can I use the Apple iPhone upgrade plan if my line is on ATT next?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vanimal, Sep 19, 2016.

1. vanimal macrumors 6502a

Sep 12, 2014
    Ive asked a few times in the main thread but haven't had it answered yet. Essentially what I want to do is use the Apple upgrade program via the citizens loan. From what I understand the phones unlocked and that's ATT will see it when I have it on my account?

Once I have my 7 plus I want to pop my current sim in. I will then sell my iPhone 6s Plus on eBay & use that amount to pay off the remainder of my 6splus that's on ATT next currently.

I assume it's fine since I've gotten all the way to the checkout screen & I've used my ATT number to verify our account. If I chose ATT next on the Apple site it shows I have to buy it outright which makes sense since the phone still has a balance via ATT next.

I just want to make sure so I can move quick that I won't screw anything on my plan up if some 7 plus phones come in stock tonight.

I have a gut feeling some 7+ phones will show up for reserve tonight. There were a few Sunday but I was too slow trying to figure out I go this route.
  2. Elyphant macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2016
    Miami, FL
    The iphone upgrade plan is apples version of att next. You can do both...but youre gonna have 2 payments to make lol apples payments and atts payments. I suggest paying off the installments on your att next plan and then doing the iphone ipgrade plan. Thats what im doing if i dont get my phone this week
  3. vanimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 12, 2014
    Well I won't have two payments for long since the day I get the 7plus I will list my 6s plus on eBay. I'll have it sold in a day or two so that's not a problem & probably have the phone paid off before my next bill even came.

I just don't want to go without phone for a week or whatever. I just wanted to make sure I can do both briefly. This all depends if I can get my hands on a 7 plus within the next few days.

But thank you for confirming if my local Apple Store gets some in tomorrow hopefully! I know I'm good to go!
  4. kre62 macrumors 68000

Jul 12, 2010
    If you know youre going to sell it quick itd be easier to just pay off the 6s now, get a new next plan on the 7, then sell the 6s to recover your outlay.
  5. vanimal, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

vanimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 12, 2014
    Could do that as well. But did you mean get the 7 via the Apple upgrade program? That's the direction I want to go this route with Apple care rather then the ATT next.

I can actually order the 7 plus to be shipped to me now via the iPhone upgrade program. But I won't get it till mid October it said.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2016 ---
    I even thought about selling my finances 6s plus & giving her mine. We got hers free "well $650 worth of bill credits" as part of a buy one get one free when we got or 6s plus phones. Hers is paid off, mine has a balance on it at the moment.