Can I use the same hard drive and ram from a windows laptop in my powerbook g4?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mi'Chelle, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Mi'Chelle macrumors newbie

I have a Apple Powerbook G4 and I have a toshia laptop that the screen is broken and I wanted to know if I could put my toshiba hard drive and the ram from the toshiba in the powerbook g4 if not what kind of hard drive should I get and can I use SATA hard drives or no?Can I use the same type of ram for windows laptop for apple laptops?

2. simsaladimbamba

The G4 PowerBook uses DDR SD-RAM with 200 pins, if your Toshiba uses the exact same RAM, then yes.
    The PB also uses a 2.5" IDE (P-ATA) HDD, if your Toshiba uses the same, then yes, you can use that too.

But does your Toshiba use 200-pin DDR RAM and a 2.5" P-ATA HDD? Do you know the exact model of your Toshiba, if you are not comfortable enough to look for that information on your own?

3. Mi'Chelle thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a Compaq Presario V600 Sorry I thought it was a Toshiba for some odd reason

4. simsaladimbamba

I can only find specs for the V6000 model, and if you have that model, the parts will not work.
    What I found about the V600 model is, that it uses a 4200 RPM HDD and SDRAM. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't.
    Maybe take that V600 apart and compare the scored parts with one of the guides at www.ifixit.com or MacSales/OWC.

5. Mi'Chelle thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure exactly how to find out what type of RAM and Hard drive all I know is Sata drive 120gb 5400 rpm I took the hd out maybe you can instruct me on how to find that info

6. simsaladimbamba

If it is an S-ATA HDD, it is not compatible, as the PowerBook G4 has a P-ATA HDD (as mentioned before).

P-ATA HDD connector for 2.5" HDD
    [​IMG]

S-ATA 2.5" HDD
    [​IMG]

If it is an S-ATA HDD you have, the RAM will also be newer than the RAM the PB uses.
    Browse MacSales to find the correct RAM and HDD for your PB and then either use their shop or browse eBay or Newegg or wherever you feel comfortable.

And here is a guide to show you what steps are involved in replacing the HDD in the PowerBook: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PowerBook-G4-Aluminum-15-Inch-1-1-5-GHz-Hard-Drive-Replacement/227/1

And to find out information about components, you look for the model number on the component. It looks like a short combo of numbers and letters, like "HD2550072K" or something similar.
    Then you use a www search engine and type those numbers in most probably get proper information about that component.

7. Mi'Chelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks that was helpful sorry to bug you with those stupid questions. I don't know much about Apple laptops , software etc only Microsoft but thanks though this was helpful!