can i watch 1080p movies on my Ipad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jack2, Apr 9, 2011.

1. jack2 macrumors newbie

hello guys

i have movies 1080p mkv format, can i watch them on my Ipad2 without any problems

thanks

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

The screen is only 1024x768 so you won't be watching 1080p. I don't know if it even has the horsepower to play 1080p even if you hook up the HDMI adapter for full resolution.

You will have to convert the mkv file anyways. Too bad VNC was pulled. I have it on my iPhone and was wanting to DL for my iPad but wasn't available node more :(

3. adamsweeting macrumors regular

I've got Plex installed on my MacBook Pro. I'm using the iPad Plex app to stream mkv's from my library on my MacBook to my iPad connected via HDMI to my plasma TV.

1080p files are super jerky, and unwatchable.
    720p files however, play perfect.

So I've set up a 1080p folder, and a 720p folder (for my iPad)
    Essentially I'm using my iPad as an Apple TV.

I think the post above is correct. I don't think the iPad has the horsepower to handle 1080p

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Great. I'm gonna have to try that Plex app. Didn't realize it was on the iPad. Would be cool if XBMC was an app but we know that's not going to happen with Apple.

Thanks for testing out the streaming of 1080p via HDMI adapter. Maybe by iPad 3 you'll be able to :p

5. adamsweeting macrumors regular

Plex basically is XBMC. It's a tweaked port.

Yeah, would be good to see 1080p supported in the iPad 3!