Can I watch iTunes movies on TV via an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by londoner888, Mar 7, 2011.

1. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

Can anyone confirm something for me.

I know you can hook the iPad up to a TV, but does this allow for me to rent/buy a movie on iTunes and watch it on the big screen?

I read on a few websites that connecting an iPhone 4 to a TV only allows the user to view photos and videos shot only from the camera as DRM prevents the playback of any iTunes movies.

Just wanted to know if this is the same for an iPad?

If I can watch iTunes movies on my TV via an iPad, I may opt for a 32 or even a 64gb iPad 2 instead of 16gb.

Also, which one would I need?
    Apple Component AV Cable, Apple Composite AV Cable, Apple iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yes you can watch iTunes movies from your iPad/iPhone or iPod touch directly from:
    -the iTunes App on your phone (rent or buy a movie)
    -Pre-loading a movie on your iDevice so that you don't have to stream it from online or wait for it to download
    -or use iTunes Home Sharing that will be new in iOS 4.3 with iTunes 10.2

you can also use Apps like Netflicks to stream movies.

You don't need an iPad dock, but any of the 3 cables that you listed should work depending on your set-up that you have. I use the composite cable and it works perfectly.

3. londoner888 thread starter macrumors regular

londoner888

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately we don't have netflix here in the UK :(
    LoveFilm have yet to launch online streaming for iOS devices, so for now I'm stuck with the more expensive option of renting online through iTunes.