Can I watch movies off of a USB or SD Card?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Smiller4128, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Smiller4128 macrumors member

Looking to see if its worth it to possibly buy a 16gb or 32gb either USB drive or SD Card that I can load up with movies and then insert it into my Macbook air to watch them on so that it doesnt take up any space? Which would be better the USB or the SD Card?

2. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

No you can't use files off of USB Drives or SD cards, that would be silly.

/sarcasm

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The SD card might be faster depending on the bitrate of the movie and the speed of the SD card used.

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

This will be faster: 64GB card MC707LL/A.
    You can get one from Apple directly.

5. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    I'm kinda not too sure why you'd want to.
    surely the simple option would be to drag the movie you want to watch off the removable media and onto your desktop, watch said move and then delete.
    you still have the original on your removable media.

I have an external hdd (500gb) with a stack of flix on it and follow that procedure when it's movie time ;)

6. LordVic macrumors 601

copying to your computer off memory stick is a silly waste of time.

Unles you absolutely cannot have that memory stick attached due to space. just read the movie right off it.

USB has more than enough read speed to keep up with all but the highest res movies

7. Smiller4128 thread starter macrumors member

I'm just thinking in terms of saving space. Plus I've heard that there might be some concern with the number of times you can write/read on a SSD before it starts to degrade. And that scares me...but not enough to stop from buying one.

I have TONS of movies (Standard DVD's) already ripped to my 2TB Apple Timecapsule. So When I'm at home its no problem just streaming it over the wifi to a macbook air or iPad, etc.

So I'm just talking about in terms of when I take my macbook air with me on vacation, plane, in airports, etc. Rather than loading up all the movies onto the SSD, put them all on a USB or SD Card, insert it into the air, and just watching them off the card or USB Drive directly.

In this sense, would a USB Drive or an SD Card be a better choice? Which would have faster read speeds or smoother viewing I guess you would say?

8. Techwriter macrumors regular

Sure you can. I went on vacation and did the exact same thing. I added movies to many SD cards and USB flash drives. I watched directly with the SD card/usb drive attached, never moving them to the Macbook Air's HD, and they all worked great. I didn't notice a difference in speed when viewing, but the SD card was faster when copying and slimmer when attached, depending on the USB flash drive you purchase. I plan on buying more SD cards before my next vacation.

I've also read about issues when re-writing to the SSD but I'm not sure it's true.

9. bogatyr macrumors 65816

SD should be a good option. Only sticks out a quarter inch or so making it more space conservative than a USB drive.

I use a 128GB SD for my backups.

10. halledise, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    your opinion.
    and your preference.

some prefer not to have odd things sticking out the side whilst watching a movie :D

11. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

Another self proclaimed expert.

OP in answer to your question = Yes