All iPads Can iPad Air 1 play video in one tab while browsing the other like the iPad Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kendo, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I was watching a video last night on one tab and switched to another tab and it was still playing in the background. I was shocked. I don't remember being able to do this with any of the iPads that I've owned such as the iPad 3, iPad Air 1, or even my iPhones. If I swithced to another tab, the video always stopped playing.

Is this new to iOS 8 or can you only do it on the iPad Air 2 since it has 2GB RAM?

2. matraco macrumors regular

I could not do that with my mini 2 in ios 7 if i remember well, now i can with ios 8.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

Yes you can, in fact I can do that on my iPad 3 running iOS 5.1.1. All you need to do is create a new tab, pull up control center and press play.

I can play Youtube videos, audio and video content on my iPad 3 without the screen on. It requires bringing up control center or whatever it was called prior to iOS 7. I slide from left to right and the music controls appear. I press the play button and whatever is in the background starts to play.

*Note, if you go back to the original tab and create a new tab then you'll have to start the process all over again.

4. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh. But what I meant was I was viewiing a website and played a video, moved to another tab and it still played.

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

iOS 8 on the Air 2 does that automatically. I can do the same but I have to 1st create a new tab, the video will stop playing then I press play from control center and then I can just surf the web and whatever was in the 1st tab will keep playing. :)