Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danlovaj

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2009
I realize iPad is able to download photos off your camera with the camera kit. But what about RAW files? I shot a lot of RAW with my dSLR, and was hoping to be able to store them on the iPad during vacations/trips when the memory card gets full. I know even 16gb should hold lots of pics at 1024 resolution, but RAW files are so huge in comparison.

The question is just how much of a hybrid it is of iPhoto, which can display RAW files. What do you think?

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
at a max of 64GB there are limits on storage. There are 64GB SD cards.

they did announce an SD reader:

iPad Camera Connection Kit
The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card.

I think it may work if there is an ability to add external storage

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
I'd like to see how fast it is. I used to have the camera adapter for my ipod (5th gen video). I'd connect the USB from my DSLR and transfer the files. It took raws and jpeg but only showed the jpeg's. The only problem I had was the time it took to transfer the files over. I'm talking hours. Once it even crashed during the transfer and I lost all my files. I threw it away after that.

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
I was wondering this myself. It would make a great device to preview images without a computer.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I doubt it will support RAW.

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
Eventually, I'm hoping to see lite-ened versions of popular Mac apps available for the iPad, and one of them would certainly be Photoshop Elements. I'd hope to see a RAW converter included with a product like that.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I don't mind if it doesn't support RAW files but it would be sweet to shoot in RAW+JPEG and have the jpegs viewable instantly but still be able to import the RAW files off the iPad onto my Mac when I got home.

If it did that then I wouldn't need to take my laptop on holidays.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
iPad Camera Connection Kit
The iPad Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. iPad supports standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW.
So yes.

thelonepixel

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
What annoys me is that there is no CF Card adapter. Also I think the base model should have had 64GB, since you can get the iphone with 32GB.

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
I'm a bit surprised at the RAW support as I was under the impression that RAW wasn't a completely standardised format like JPEG (i.e. different cameras produce different types of RAW files)

I agree with Chundles and hope that there is the option to only import JPEGs. Being able to quickly preview JPEGs on the iPad sounds like a pretty neat feature.

danlovaj

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2009
What annoys me is that there is no CF Card adapter. Also I think the base model should have had 64GB, since you can get the iphone with 32GB.

I wish it had a CF too. Because shooting in RAW is going to be on my Canon 40D. But i figure having a usb adaptor will download from both my dslr and point and touch.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
I was looking at the blurb about the Camera Connection Kit at http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ but I have a number of questions:

Does the kit come with BOTH the ability to plug the camera in directly and a memory card, or are there two different kits?

Is it just SD cards that it supports?

Where does it store the photos once they are imported? Will I be able to plug my iPad into my iMac and import the photos into Lightroom directly, or will I need to import from iTunes first?

Since it says it supports JPG and RAW, does that mean the iPad will be able to view RAW photos, or just import them for syncing later? If it is able to decode the RAW files on the device itself, will it support the same RAW formats that Apple supports in Aperture?

Thanks a bunch!

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
Its one kit with both connectors in it. The other questions i dont have an answer for.
But if your iphone can import into lightroom then it should work the same. I imagine it stores them in the photo app

andyrusty

macrumors newbie
Downloading Raw to ipad

Ive just connected my canon 400d to my ipad.
The photos app opened up itself and the thumbnails of the pics downloaded. The images that were in raw just showed as and empty box with RAW inside it. The jpeg images displayed the image. However when imported into the ipad all the raw images displayed correctly.
The only problem encountered was that the initial thumbnail of the raw image was not displayed.

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
The camera connection kit comes with a USB adapter and an SD card adapter, the photo transfer for .mov and .jpg from my camera's SD was very quick, you can pick and choose which to transfer and you can also auto sync with the option to skip any you might have already moved. I moved 300 photos in less than 15 minutes including a couple of videos.

I used it while I was away and I could not fault it :)

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
Ive just connected my canon 400d to my ipad.
The photos app opened up itself and the thumbnails of the pics downloaded. The images that were in raw just showed as and empty box with RAW inside it. The jpeg images displayed the image. However when imported into the ipad all the raw images displayed correctly.
The only problem encountered was that the initial thumbnail of the raw image was not displayed.

I was wanting some info on this. Thanks for the update!

rs1001

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
Adding to this, when uploaded to the iPad, is it still a Full-Res RAW or has it converted it / downsized it to a JPEG?

Also, is there an app better than the Adobe one?
Though some functions are given, level balancing & such are pretty critical & seem to be omitted at the moment.

armadaman

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
with a little help

OnOnesoftware.com has an app that put the camera picture on your iPad or iPhone no matter what the format.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
My iPad 2 with camera kit downloads and displays Nikon NEF (RAW) files along with jpegs if you use them. No additional software required!

I ordered it from Apple and was surprised that it included a CF card reader, too!

It works well!:p

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
My iPad 2 with camera kit downloads and displays Nikon NEF (RAW) files along with jpegs if you use them. No additional software required!

I ordered it from Apple and was surprised that it included a CF card reader, too!

It works well!:p

The Apple Kit comes with a CF reader?? I don't think so, one is SD and one is USB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.