Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I have an iPad Pro 12.9" 2nd gen which uses lighting connector. Will it and Apple Pencil 1 gen be able to use all the features of iPad OS? I am especially concerned about compatibility issues with external storage, mouse and pen. Thanks.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I believe the functionality should be similar, however the lightning port doesn’t provide as much power to attached devices as the USB-C port so there might be an active USB hub that you need to have in between these devices to make them work.

Reactions: hajime

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Hi, I have an iPad Pro 12.9" 2nd gen which uses lighting connector. Will it and Apple Pencil 1 gen be able to use all the features of iPad OS? I am especially concerned about compatibility issues with external storage, mouse and pen. Thanks.
Every iPad eligible for iOS 13 will be able to exploit the capabilities... including the lowly Mini 4. There may be some specific scenarios (like split window plus slide-over and all 3 active) where only the latest iPad Pros can use.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You'll need to buy the $40 Lightning to USB3 Camera adapter kit to be able to use USB-based external accessories. As mentioned, you'll likely need a powered USB hub since the Lightning connector doesn't provide much power.
[doublepost=1560796942][/doublepost]
There may be some specific scenarios (like split window plus slide-over and all 3 active) where only the latest iPad Pros can use.
This should be supported on 2nd gen Pros.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
You'll need to buy the $40 Lightning to USB3 Camera adapter kit to be able to use USB-based external accessories. As mentioned, you'll likely need a powered USB hub since the Lightning connector doesn't provide much power.
[doublepost=1560796942][/doublepost]
This should be supported on 2nd gen Pros.

Thanks. So it means that I cannot connect to external storage (including usb thumb drive?) unless my iPad is connected to an AC adapter via the USB3 Camera adapter kit? I think mouse should be ok if I use BT?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thumb drive is likely fine (except for some high power ones). SSD and HDD, almost guaranteed will need external power. BT mouse should be fine as well (and battery powered mouse with low-power, wireless nano receiver).

Obviously, USB camera kit is a prerequisite for all USB devices (regardless of power requirements). I just remembered that the camera adapter has a power input (Lightning connector) so the powered USB hub isn't necessary if you only need one device. Could just plug it in to a USB charger.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Yes, your iPad will benefit.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Is there a benefit to buy Apple Pencil 2 given that I already have the first gen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.