Can IRiver Become an IPod Killer?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
adding more features has already proved that it is not a better player, its design and usability that wins out in the end, and the iPod is the winner there still, useless and pointless features are not all that great, especially when it cant do anything all that well because of an overload

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
This topic has been beaten to death. :mad:

iPod is best because it has sex appeal, iconic status, UI an 89 yr old can use, simplicity, essential & relevant features, and the marriage of the iTMS and iTunes.

Until a player can meet these standards lets not talk about the iPod killers.

None the less, the iRiver looks like a nice player. :rolleyes:

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
You can pull an iPod out and even someone who knows nothing about anything will go "Oh, that's one of those iPod things, right?"

No other player can do that. Period.

montex

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
Seattle, WA
So how many months has the 6GB iPod mini been out? 2 months? And these guys post an article TODAY that says the new creative has 5GB - 1GB more than the iPod mini.

Can somebody please explain to me why PC tech writers are so lazy about checking the specs of products they're talking about?

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Well, aside from usability and design, the iRiver has something a lot of other players don't have: The "i" part.

Fishes,
narco.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
montex said:
So how many months has the 6GB iPod mini been out? 2 months? And these guys post an article TODAY that says the new creative has 5GB - 1GB more than the iPod mini.

Can somebody please explain to me why PC tech writers are so lazy about checking the specs of products they're talking about?
Where does it say that? :confused:
All I saw was:
The result of that effort, the 5GB H10, has been received well by various reviewers, who suggested that potential buyers weigh the price against its extra features. At $280, the player is $30 more expensive than Apple's 6GB IPod Mini, but offers several features not found on the Apple player.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
no one wants copy mp3 player they want the ipod ,i would buy the 6gig mini becuase its cheaper,more hard drive,and smaller in size, the extras that the iriver has,can be add on the ipod ,im sure

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
The only reason for not buying an iPod is that everyone has got one!
With the integration if iPod, iTunes and the iTMS, it is ridiculous to suggest that a piece of hardware is all it takes to "kill" the iPod. Where's the iRiver software for seamless music transfer or purchasing?
Music (with iTunes & iPod is) should be all about enjoyment with the minimum interference from technology, and that is what the apple has strived for and (IMO) has achieved.

stoid

macrumors 601
James Philp said:
The only reason for not buying an iPod is that everyone has got one!
With the integration if iPod, iTunes and the iTMS, it is ridiculous to suggest that a piece of hardware is all it takes to "kill" the iPod. Where's the iRiver software for seamless music transfer or purchasing?
Music (with iTunes & iPod is) should be all about enjoyment with the minimum interference from technology, and that is what the apple has strived for and (IMO) has achieved.

I agree completely. It's like these other companies are trying to incorporate technology into the consumer's life, while Apple is trying to incorporate the consumer's life into technology. The difference being that Apple's product generally work more seamlessly and stay out of the way of your work. Hence the reason that Mac's are more prevalent among artists, they spend less time fighting their technology and more time creating and developing.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Just an small point:
Name Size Songs Price($) Price/Gig Price/Song
Shuffle 0.5 120 99 198 0.83
Shuffle 1 240 149 149 0.62
Mini 4 1000 199 49.75 0.20
Mini 6 1500 249 41.5 0.17
Click Wheel 20 5000 299 14.95 0.06
U2 20 5000 349 17.45 0.07
Photo 30 7500 349 11.63 0.05
Photo 60 15000 449 7.48 0.03

Look at that price per Gig! From $198 to $7.5!

By this reasoning (83 cents per song to 3 cents) who wouldn't buy at least the iPod Photo!? (and who in their right mind would buy a U2!?)

Look at the HUGE jump from the mini to the standard iPod (wish I'd done this before I bought my mini - but i guess that was a while ago :) )

Enlightening eh!?

EDIT - This is really annoying - I have spaced all the columns out perfectly here, no tabs or nothin, and it's squished them all - sorry

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
James Philp said:
Just an small point:
Look at that price per Gig! From $198 to $7.5!

By this reasoning (83 cents per song to 3 cents) who wouldn't buy at least the iPod Photo!? (and who in their right mind would buy a U2!?)

Look at the HUGE jump from the mini to the standard iPod (wish I'd done this before I bought my mini - but i guess that was a while ago :) )
But honestly, except for nerds and people obsessed with music like myself, who really cares about gigs? When it comes down to it, people want something that looks "cool" and is really small, but works great. I have a 60gig iPod photo, but I really wish it was the size of the mini because it can comfortable fit inside my pocket.

Fishes,
narco.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
narco said:
But honestly, except for nerds and people obsessed with music like myself, who really cares about gigs? When it comes down to it, people want something that looks "cool" and is really small, but works great. I have a 60gig iPod photo, but I really wish it was the size of the mini because it can comfortable fit inside my pocket.

Fishes,
narco.
True, but I also believe in a thing called value for money! :p

Oh, And all iPods "look cool" are "really small" and "work great", so where do you look next? - value for money. For the 60 Gig to be unconfortable, you must have ver tight trousers! (or a overly big case?)

I think price, and hence value for money, are among the top priorities for most consumers, if not the top!
And if you wanna talk about music obsessed, I bought the Original iPod for £350 (around ~$660) and that was only 5Gig!

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
James Philp said:
True, but I also believe in a thing called value for money! :p

Oh, And all iPods "look cool" are "really small" and "work great", so where do you look next? - value for money. For the 60 Gig to be unconfortable, you must have ver tight trousers! (or a overly big case?)

I think price, and hence value for money, are among the top priorities for most consumers, if not the top!
And if you wanna talk about music obsessed, I bought the Original iPod for £350 (around ~$660) and that was only 5Gig!
Yes, as a matter of fact, I wear VERY tight trousers!

I do agree with you, I also believe value of money is very important. I do that with everything I buy, not just iPods, but that is why *I* bought a 60gig. Well, that and I just passed 40gigs worth of music last month so I HAD to upgrade. I'm just saying the average Joe will probably want something that looks cool. There's no such thing as value of money when it comes to fashion.

Fishes,
narco.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
James Philp said:
UPDATE: Amazon prices:
iRiver H340 40 Gig, $9.50 a Gig, Worse than 60 Gig iPod
iRiver H320 20 gig, $14.25 a Gig, Worse than 20 Gig iPod!
:p
but the 40 gig is BETTER than the 30 gig you forgot that little fact

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
The iRivers also have colour screens, FM transmitters and voice recording :D
Personally I bought an iPod to get away from the radio, it sucking so bad and all!
I have well over 20Gigs of music, and only a 15GB iPod, but unlike you, narco, I don't feel the *Need* to upgrade! What happens when you get over 60? (Oh, but by then the 80GB one will be out - have heard about the HD being manufactured already!)
Soon enough you'll be carrying around your Terbite-Pod!

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
James Philp said:
Personally I bought an iPod to get away from the radio, it sucking so bad and all!
I have well over 20Gigs of music, and only a 15GB iPod, but unlike you, narco, I don't feel the *Need* to upgrade! What happens when you get over 60? (Oh, but by then the 80GB one will be out - have heard about the HD being manufactured already!)
I love having all my songs with me thats why i use my mini for then the shuffle,why would you not wan to upgrade??

Im upgrading becaus ei like to have lots of room to grow and,my school is get 50 ipod and im involed with the ipod plan

a terbite ipod would rock

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
James Philp said:
Yeah, people always ask me why I feel the need to carry around my entire CD collection at all times. It's mostly because I'm a fickle guy. Sometimes I'd rather listen to one CD, sometimes I like to just put it on random and listen to EVERYTHING. If I had to pick or choose what I wanted on my iPod, I guarantee that the one album I want to listen to will be the one album I chose not to be included.

It's for those small, probably really dumb reasons why I upgrade as soon as I run out of room. I am on my 5th iPod now because of this!

I know the day will come when I decide 128 AAC files just suck (yeah, I chose 128/AAC for space reasons). I am going to want all 12,000+ songs of mine at LOSSLESS. Watch me, where's the damn 2TB iPod?

Fishes,
narco.

macnulty

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2003
Rehoboth Beach, De
macnulty said:
yada yada yada
I now have a real thought about this. I am a cyclist, can fast forward, go back, change volume, without looking at my iPod or even touching it directly and not losing rhythm. My friend with a Zen might as well have a slide ruler.

iPod killer. . . I don't think so

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
narco said:
Yeah, people always ask me why I feel the need to carry around my entire CD collection at all times. It's mostly because I'm a fickle guy. Sometimes I'd rather listen to one CD, sometimes I like to just put it on random and listen to EVERYTHING. If I had to pick or choose what I wanted on my iPod, I guarantee that the one album I want to listen to will be the one album I chose not to be included.

It's for those small, probably really dumb reasons why I upgrade as soon as I run out of room. I am on my 5th iPod now because of this!

I know the day will come when I decide 128 AAC files just suck (yeah, I chose 128/AAC for space reasons). I am going to want all 12,000+ songs of mine at LOSSLESS. Watch me, where's the damn 2TB iPod?

Fishes,
narco.

im in the same boat as you, i got a shuffle for working out and short trips, i use it to snyc with my highest rated songs so i enjoy it most of the time without a problem, i just got a 6gb blue mini (for free (came with my 'rents new car!) so that hopefully will hold me ove until a large enough ipod comes along that i can fit all my tunes on it in losselss, im at 20gigs right now with the songs at 128AAC, ok well maybenot lossless, but a higher bitrate like 320 at least.....