Can iTunes have three different versions of the same video or still only two (SD/HD)?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Xandros, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Xandros macrumors regular

OK so, say I've got a 720p video in iTunes, I know you can have two versions of it; an SD one and the HD one, but can you also have three versions of it? i.e. an SD one an HD 720p one and HD 1080p one? Seeing as the new AppleTv supports streaming 1080p vids I thought I may get one for my 1080p tv but I've still got an old gen appletv that works fine, apart from the sync speeds, and that obviously only supports upto 720p vids.

I figured it'd be easier to maintain one library for both appletvs, but of course it depends on if this ability is implemented in Itunes (I'm guessing it isn't).

2. androiphone macrumors 65816

give it a go, set your preferences to download the 1080p version of a video you already have in SD and 720p, go to itunes 'purchased' section and download the 1080p version, and report back

3. Xandros thread starter macrumors regular

I can't, because I haven't purchased anything from the iTunes store, and I don't intend to if I can't do this.

4. androiphone macrumors 65816

I too have never bought anything from iTunes but there is a section called 'Free TV Shows' and you can test it on that.

I don't know where you are but both the UK and in the US there is a free selection to test the 1080p content, iTunes even gives free movies away every once in a while.

5. fauxprelude, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

fauxprelude macrumors newbie

I'm in the US and it seems to work for me, but I only tried it once. You have to keep changing the settings to get each version, which is a pain. :/

[​IMG]

:) Hope that helps.

EDIT: I feel I should add that I had bought it in SD before, but then recently the 720p version became available for free and I grabbed that. THEN the 1080p version came out and I was able to download that for free later. As far as I know you can have all three versions, but only the HD movies come with an SD version, NOT TV episodes like I showed in my picture. My experience may have been unusual, so I don't know more than this.

6. androiphone macrumors 65816

when I download a TV show I get both the SD and the (selected) HD version, but if you want to redownload the show from 'Purchased' then you only get the HD version (again in whichever size is selected in preferences)

7. Xandros thread starter macrumors regular

Is selecting the version in iTunes only for viewing it in iTunes though or does that version selection also affect what version connected devices can access too? Thing is the whole point of me caring about this is if I got a new AppleTV, I'd want 1080p videos to be streamed to it but I would also want iTunes to be smart enough to be able to also stream/sync the 720p versions to my older ATV without having to change any settings before hand.

8. fauxprelude macrumors newbie

Ahh, ok, maybe it was only something with me getting freebies then? I don't know, I only starting messing with this stuff recently.:eek:

The picture I posted is of iTunes on a Windows 7 PC, so as far as I know that is to select which you want to play on iTunes on the computer. I grabbed that video and connected my iPod nano (with the video camera), which only does SD to my knowledge and it seemed to put the right one on and play it...

Also, I heard even the other 720p :apple:TV could grab a 1080 version and play it, but it would be downsized or something to 720. It should be able to grab the right version on its own to my knowledge though. It'll only pick what version it's capable of playing basically is my understanding of what others have said. I'm sorry I don't have one or I'd go check it out thoroughly just for the heck of it.:(
    I do read TONS of other people's posts on their own experiences to try to keep up to date on this stuff, but that's all I've got on this one.

9. Xandros thread starter macrumors regular

This is all good news, thank you all. I mean, I know androiphone suggested I test this myself earlier and I said I couldn't because I had no purchased films - that is true, though I had no idea they had free stuff on there (guess I've just never bothered to check). Truth be told though I'm not at home and won't be for a few weeks so couldn't test it out even if I wanted to but as usual when you get an idea in your head about something it tends to grow and irritate the living hell out of you until you start seeking answers out.