Can my iphone 4 be unlocked on 4.1 and preserved baseband 1.59 ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by daytrade, Oct 20, 2010.

1. daytrade macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Quick question. Can I unlock my iphone 4 on 4.1 and preserved baseband 1.59.00 ? Do I just jailbreak with limerain and then install ultrasnow via cydia? Thanks in advance!

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

What firmware and baseband is phone on right now?

If 4.1 & 2.10, NO, you can't unlock on 2.10 baseband.

If 4.0-4.02 & 1.59, you can use Tinyumbrella and Pwnagetool to upgrade to 4.1 and keep unlockable 1.59 baseband. After JB, use ultrasn0w to unlock the phone.

3. strodda macrumors regular

Yes you can. You need to run tinyumbrella and start TSS server, then restore through iTunes. iTunes will install ios4.1, and error when it comes to the baseband. Then click on "kick me out of recovery", and you're all set to jb with gp/lr and unlock.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You have to use either pwnage or Tiny umbrella to preserve your baseband (so you can unlock). Do not update to 4.1 first.

5. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

daytrade,

Look at Myzhi's post and ignore the other two.

To you other two, why post if your reply is less complete than the first reply and potentially wrong???

S-

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

This:
    Download TU here: http://cache.firmwareumbrella.com/downloads/TinyUmbrella-v4.1.11.pkg

7. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Except that you don't know what iOS version and baseband are currently in place, do you? Did it come with iOS 4.1? Did the OP upgrade it to iOS 4.1 already?

This is why Myzhi's post is the proper one to pay attention at this point. If we find out the iPhone is still on iOS 4.0.1 or iOS 4.0.2 and the baseband is 01.59, then the posts posts have merit.

S-

8. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Krafty,

The OP does not say what iOS version he is currently running. You are assuming that he says he is running iOS 4.1 in his post but it is not at all clear.

S-

10. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

That's what I get for answering questions at 4AM.

11. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Check here for the most recent version of tinyumbrella, because 4.1.11 isn't it. This program gets updated practically on a daily basis at times.

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

Might as well be on the most recent, and most bug free version.

12. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I hope semaphore writes automatic updates into TU soon but progress is definitely being made on its user-friendliness and its always worked for me so I can't complain.

13. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Curious as to why all the confusion. Didn't the OP indicate that his phone is at 4.1 with 01.59.0 baseband? If so, isn't the answer a simple, Yes?

14. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

+1 here, as long as the OP uses PT or the TU+limera1n combo it should be good...

15. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No, it's unclear what the OP has. His question is clear but what he currently has installed now on his iPhone 4 is not. This is why Myzhi asked the question he did.

S-

16. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

You're usually pretty perceptive, but I think you are completely wrong. If he is asking if he can lock his phone on 4.1 and 1.59, then he has told you it's already at that level. Why make this more difficult than it is. I wish he'd just come back and clarify that for you!

17. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Yes, I usually am. So is Myzhi.

The OP's post isn't clear enough.

If he was already on iOS 4.1 and had baseband 01.59.00, he wouldn't need to ask the question since he would have known enough to use TinyUmbrella. And the only likely reason he would have done that was because he knew he needed that baseband to unlock. If he knew all of that, why ask the question?

If he was on iOS 4.1 and had the newest baseband, he might be asking about downgrading the baseband. But he doesn't really ask that.

Finally he could be asking about how to upgrade to iOS 4.1 while preserving baseband 01.59.00 so he can unlock.

Basically, the OP's post is open to interpretation....

S-

18. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Fair enough. Everything is indeed open to interpretation!

19. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I think you are reading far too much into this. The op could be on 4.1 and 1.59 without knowing anything about using tiny umbrella to preserve his baseband, or without doing it deliberately. He could have bought the phone used like that. He could have upgraded his new iphone 4 on a computer he used previously with a 3GS and tiny umbrella and had the host file pointing to Saurik. He could be negotiating to buy a phone and wanted to check what was possible before purchase.

I think jumping down the throat of those who gave advise specifically to the question asked is way over the top.

20. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I just hope in our efforts to over analyze the OP's question, he/she got what was needed. That's what we're here for. My apologies for adding any confusion.

21. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

My interpretation of op's question is that he updated to 4.1 while using TU without actually knowing why he's using TU. He's now on 4.1 with baseband 1.59 and is asking if it's possible to unlock it.

Since he has enough knowledge to use the term "preserved baseband", I think he's already done the upgrade with TU.

22. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Like I said...it's not clear which is why Myzhi asked what he asked.

S-

23. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

24. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Or I could do some research I should not have to do...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11208579&postcount=5

Okay, so he has iOS 4.1 and preserved the baseband. All he has to do jailbreak and and use ultrasn0w.

It was so clear (not) what the OP was asking that it took until post #13 for someone to come up with the right interpretation.

Now we don't need to waste any more time on this thread...

S-

25. Teh479 macrumors newbie

Proper process

Hi! If the opener has found a solution/answer to his query then congrats.

However i'd like do a bit of contribution by sharing the process of uphrading, jailbreaking and unlocking for the iphone 4 which are still on the baseband(modem firmware) 01.59.00.

If you're on iOS 4.1 and BB 01.59.00 then all you need to do is to jailbreak using limera1n and then add ultrasn0w from cydia and you're good to go.

If u're on iOS 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 then follow the following steps:

1. Download Tiny Umbrella(preferably latest version). Run it and save your SHSH blobs. Once you've saved them, keep the TSS server running, dont sgop or quit it.

2. Start itunes, hold SHIFT and click on restore. A browse window will open. Navigate it to where you have save the iOS 4.1 on your hard drive. (double ckeck that the tiny umbrella's TSS server is still running)

3. Let itunes do it's restore.

4. After the process is complete, itunes will give you some error regarding failed update of something(baseband). This is because when you update the ios while TSS server is running, tiny umrella doesnt let itunes upgrage your baseband. The UNLOCK which we do, is related to the baseband and not the version of iOS.

5. So now you have an iphone 4 with iOS 4.1 and baseband 01.59.00.
    Good! Now jailbreak your phone using limera1n(find tuitorials on google)

6. After u've jailbreaked you iphone, tap the limera1n app and install CYDIA from it.

7. When cydia is inatalled, open it, let it upgrade/update/download stuff on wifi. After update n stuff, close it and reopen it.

8. Add Ultrasn0w.(google the tuitorials for it)

9. Ultrasn0w will do it's magic and will reboot the phone.

10. BAM! Your iphone 4 is on iOS 4.1 on baseband 01.59.00, jailbroken and UNLOCKED.