Can my late 2012 Retina MBP run this monitor 21:9

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rtmich224, Jul 12, 2014.

1. rtmich224, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014

rtmich224 macrumors newbie

I have a 13" late 2012 retina MBP. Intel HD Graphics 4000 .

Looking at the LG 34UM95 34" ULTRA WIDESCREEN 21:9 MONITOR

3440 x 1440 (60Hz)

Will I be able to run this display properly using this laptop and thunderbolt? ]

Thanks

2. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

I don't have experience with your particular machine or that display (mine has the same GPU though), but it looks like the external display support is "Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors" according to Apple's specs: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP658?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If the LG is not treated as two displays side-by-side (two separate connections), I think it's got too many pixels for your machine. It does seem a bit counterintuitive, since two Apple Thunderbolt Displays would have more pixels...

3. Super Dude macrumors newbie

13" 2012 retina MacBook Pro w/Intel HD Graphics 4000. OK for LG 34UM95?

:apple: 2012 MacBook Pro Retina with LG 34UM95 34 Inch Display

After an unreasonable amount of time searching online, I 'believe' the answer is yes, it will work. From reading about the success of others with similar systems, my best guess it will work well or acceptably well with some possible extra steps needed during setup.

However, I would love to see a thorough and convincing report on the exact same system you specified, as I have the same MacBook Pro. There must be a few people out there who have already tried the LG 34UM95 with the 13" retina MacBook Pro (sometimes called the mid-2012 13-inch MacBook Pro retina).

You are probably reading the same threads I am on other sites.
    There are references to much older systems working, and the 15" 2012 retina MacBook Pro launched before the 13" retina is said to work (though from my reading I understand the 15" has a newer generation graphics card than the later released 13").

Please speak up out there if you are running this new LG display with a 2012 13" retina MacBook Pro!

Are you able to use Thunderbolt at 60 Hz?
    Any issues?
    What workarounds did you use if any?

Personally, I can't really afford to upgrade my laptop now to meet the needs of a display. If I was going to do that, I would probably just buy the Mac Pro desktop, but that is not a purchase I am eager to make at the moment either.

Hoping for some good news.